joecub

I'm New Here
I own a 4 that had the engine built by a gent named Art Chard, runs great but I can't find anything about him. Ever heard of him?

I own a 4 that had the engine built by a gent named Art Chard, runs great but I can't find anything about him. Ever heard of him?

He is the reason Van built the RV6.............

Call Van's and ask about Art.

Art Chard

You can contact Art via e-mail at: [email protected]. Art and his wife, Dorothy, live in Stevensville, Montana. I got to know Art very well back when I started my RV-4 (August of 1989). At the time, he was still working for Van. He was the "go-to" guy...whenever they wanted to try something new, and needed a prototype built, they went to Art. I could swear, he would just throw a bunch of aluminum and rivets up in the air, and it would come down as a completed piece of airplane! I haven't seen Art in about five years now, but I still cyber-chat with him often.

Regards,
Steve Crawford
RV-4 N889SC

referenced in "RV Story"

I believe Art Chard is referenced in Van's movie "The RV Story", in the development of the RV-6.

RV Yoda...

Mr Chard built all of the original Van's prototypes back before pre-punched, CAD and Quick Builds were the norm. He also built my good friend and combat wingman Brian "Wolfman" Wolf's RV4, an absolute work of "Art". My buddy Slim did the pre-buy and flew it home for Brian in 2001. After my friend Wolfie's untimely death in 2006, I helped my friend Bill W. buy it and I flew it back down here from Seattle. It is the fastest and best flying RV4 I have ever flown. They both have the same initials...the N Number works!
Several cool innovations include: RV6 wing tanks (38 gallons) 0-360/Hartzell with 9.0:1 compression (190 HP) Extremely light and fast!

Mr Chard's biggest innovation was the Chard Six, the first side by side RV. Van flew it and later designed the RV6. From there the RV world would change forever...it's your call as to whether there were any cool RV's designed after the RV4. Art has also helped build several gorgeous Rockets in the Northwest...great guy. If you need to contact him, I have his phone number.

Smokey
HR2