rv8bldr

Well Known Member
Hi folks

My buddy and I are flying our -8's into Osh tomorrow (from up here in the great, white north).

Anyone ever fly in the day before the NOTAM? (The NOTAM doesn't kick in until Saturday)

We are planning for the normal Ripon approach just in case, but does anyone know if that approach is being used or not ?

I suspect that since we'll be on a VFR flight plan that terminal or someone will direct us to the approriate spot, but it would be nice to be pre-armed before hitting that bit of airspace.

BTW, we'll be in homebuilt camping. Come look us up.

Cheers

I've never flown the approach BEFORE the NOTAM either, but I would think that I would fly the NOTAM to FISK, and if the controllers aren't there to call out, give the tower a call from FISK. I bet they will be there though. I know there are several mass arrivals over the weekend, and I'm sure the controllers will be out there for those. Not sure about Friday, but that's how I would handle it.

Also, there may be arrival instructions on the ATIS early as well...have fun, and see ya there!

Since the Notam is not if effect, fly into OSH as you would on any other weekend. Get the current ATIS, call up the tower and take it from there.

Regards,

No problem

I did it two years ago in my Pitts, came in on Friday at about 6:00 pm. No big deal, called tower 10 miles out, and they even gave me a choice of runway based on where I'd be parking. Landed on 36L and got off at a regular taxiway. Surprisingly, it was not busy at all, and they were very accomodating... have fun!

Later,
-Pat-

I live about 38nm (as the crow flies) north of Oshkosh and have an aircraft radio with a vertical polarized yagi antenna up about 40?. As I write this I can hear traffic in the pattern at Oshkosh doing touch and goes. Although the activity has increased, operations appear normal with standard reporting such as ?Oshkosh tower, Cessna xxxx, 8 miles to the north with x-ray, inbound for landing runway 27?.
If you arrive from the north before Saturday, contact Green Bay approach on 119.4 MHz, they may provide flight following into the Oshkosh area.

Don Pansier