Tandem46

Well Known Member
I'm honestly confused with the back and forth arguements between George (aka GMCJetPilot) and Walter Atkins. Who is right? Who is wrong? Does it matter? I don't know anymore!! I have been flying for 2 1/2 yrs with one mag and one LSE. I also have a P-mag on order. I'm wondering from reading all of Walters posts if I should just go back to dual mags?? How is it that some one so experienced (Walter) could possibly be wrong. But then with thousands of EIs flying, how can they all be wrong. And the whole LOP/ROP...I've read all of John Deakin's articles years ago, but I'm still confused from all the arguements going on today on this forum. Why can't I run peak if I'm below 75% power and CHT's are well below 400 and EGTs around 1430-1450?? Can I? I'd rather do that than anything, seems easier. And what EGT is too hot? 1450? 1700? 1750? Lots of folks are so bent on 50 or 25 ROP or LOP, what about just running at peak? Some days I seriously and honestly wish I'd gone with a Subaru. I'm not sure if this is a rehtorical post or not. I really want answers but I'm afraid I'll get the same answers already posted.

Ditto

I suspect that your question/comments will generate more "Ditto"s that Rush Limbaugh.

Mike

It's like eating an elephant.

My perspective on this...

It's like eating an elephant... you have to do it one step at a time.

a) you at least didn't go all the way to the dark side with dual EI :)
b) Pick some of the LOP stuff and start with it. For example, Try the "target EGT" method of climbing.
c) Go take the APS class, as it relates in dollars that "could be" spent, it's probably cheap money, and you'll see, touch, feel, and experience the data to help you with a better learning.

Course you always can just set back and learn and see what happens and not do anything. As they say, time will tell, one way or the other...:)

Only one more APS class - this september. After that just online from what I understand...

T.

Run full rich during climb. Upon reaching cruise, throttle back to your preferred power setting. Lean to 100 dF ROP or 50 dF LOP and enjoy.

If you're just bumming around, stay around 100 dF ROP and don't worry about it.

"Right" is soooo black and white. Just because I wouldnt strap my butt into my friends Whitman W-8 tailwind for a million bucks, doesn't mean I'm right or it's not safe. It's just opinion, and comfort levels. Obviously with a single EI, you've been comfortable, so just because one really smart guy isn't at your comfort level shouldn't worry you too much. i know some really smart guys who wouldn't fly in a experimental airplane at all.....

Facts and theory

First, keep in mind that an expert is anyone more than 50 miles from home. With thought in mind, weigh carefully what is being said and compare with what is actually being done. [ed. sentence snipped by DR - antagonistic comment towards another member]

Dan has demonstrated his techniques and results from actual use and practice over 1000 hours of experience, yet a couple of people slammed him.

Technology is changing and improving. The old school will tell you to use traditional mags, (Walter). George may tell you something else. But who really knows what they actually use, (if they do at all).

I have an Emag and Pmag setup that works flawlessly on my ECI IO 360. I chose these because it is a mix of old and new and those actually using them were having excellent results.

I also have the AF2500 engine monitor like Dan. When I fly I make it a practice to use the Lean/Peak function every 15 minutes. Without getting into all of the specific numbers, I can tell you that I save fuel, lose very little airspeed and do not experience any "out of green" numbers on the CHT's or EGT's. This is now with 130 hours of experience in very diverse conditions.

In summary, it amazes me that people will take the advice of some because of lengthy posts filled with links to this or that and impressive sounding narrative. What really works? I ask those who are actually using the equipment to get their results and experiences. This is worth much more than a page of potential BS.

Sorry to sound a little beligerent here but when I was building I would always ask those flying two questions, What would you do different? and why? I listened and as a result I've had a virtually trouble free 130 hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Various predictions

Predictions that have reached my ears(but not my brain):
1) you can't build a real airplane in your garage,
2) the wingspar on the RV8/8a is no good and will snap in two like a twig,
3) the Catto prop is no good and will throw a blade in flight, and
4) the AeroSportPower engine is no good and will suddenly make metal and catstrophically fail.

And now, the EI will also cause my engine to explode.

After 575 hrs of flying a REAL airplane, the AeroSportPower engine/Catto prop combo are running smoother than ever, and the wings are... still on. The biggest problems so far have been two flat tires and rising gasoline costs.

Odds are you won't die from an engine or prop failure, but rather from continued VFR flight into worsening IMC or controlled flight into terrain or some other very poor piloting choice. I focus most of my attention on these dangers rather than the esoterics of engine engineering.

Have fun and fly safely!

The only exploding engines I've heard of with EI are Ryton sumps. But, maybe I'm not listening close enough. All I know is that my Mattituck-built Lycoming has E-mag and P-mag AND a full warrantee. Seems if these things destroyed engines, there would be no warrantees when engines are delivered WITH THEM INSTALLED.

Jekyll

My Formula is simple, full rich and lean to keep EGT around the same as full power until I reach cruiise. I cruise between 50%-65% power and lean to peak egt (6 gph and avg 28mpg on the FF cmptr at 50%). I have a lightspeed/mag combo with a carb (but may go to dual LS when the mag wears out). For ref. my temps are about 1100-1150 for full pwr and 1300-1350 at cruise. All cyl. monitoring with an EI analyzer. At cruise egt split is around 50-100 deg and I can go lean of peak with little or no roughness but prefer to run at or just under peak in cruise for better power plus it evens out the egt's a little better. CHT are average 345 in climb and 310 in cruise, oil at 180d. This is in the TX heat with an OAT 100d. I have to block 75% of the SW oil cooler in winter to keep her warm.
RV7A, ECI O360 std compression. 360+ trouble free hours and diggin every minute!

The Bottom Line....

....is that everyone sets their own bottom line!

Don't pull all your hair out Tobin, or you'll end up looking like me, and that ain't a good thing. :rolleyes:

I started "one of those threads" the other day because I had some honest questions about how things actually work. I've learned a lot - which doesn't mean I believe any one person's interpretations, but because I have seen some interesting data presented, and it started me thinking differently.

The real question for me is "what do I do with all this information?" My answer might surprise some folks...I will probably keep operating in a fairly conservative manner, probably burning a bit more fuel than I need to. But with the information that I have gained, I now have a better idea what my margins are - and in my experience, it is margins that keep us safe. run with none, and sooner or later, you will fall off the edge. Knowing how far you are from the edge is important.

Running my engine the way the book says, with knowledge of how far I am from the margins, makes me comfortable. It's too late to save my hair, but (as Mark said) at least I can concentrate on weather and other things that might get me.....

Paul