Tumper

Well Known Member
I think I have heard where some builders have reinforced the arm rest on side-by-side RV?s. If this is true, how many people have done this and what are the results?

If you have made a modification on the arm rest, could you post some pictures?

Thanks,

I reinforced my armrests on my RV-7. Here is how I did it:

IMG_7649.JPG

And a complete writeup:

http://rvplane.com/?categoryid=4&dayid=439

I reinforced the arm rests. I ran a 1/8" diameter rounding router bit along the edge of the angle so that it fit flush with the arm rest. Used flush rivets on the top of the arm rest to hold the angle in place.

995000422_b9czv-M.jpg

I also riveted a small piece of aluminum on the underside of the forward attach point to help hold up the arm rest. Seems pretty solid, but time will tell. Certainly better to do this now than wait until later when it will eventually get bent by somebody.

I reinforced arm rests the same way but it proved unnecessary with CA Aviator side panels. They are sturdy.

I bought a second set of arm rests, turned them upside down and fit them inside the first set. riveted together the assembly gets quite strong. A sharp eye may notice the extra rivet line on the outside of the fuse, but careful rivet spacing makes it look factory.
Cheers..
Evan

I didn't reinforce; the weight penalty wasn't worth it for me and it seemed the only real reason was if people tried to use the arm rests to push themselves up out of the seat. So I just tell them, "don't use the arm rests to push yourself out of the seat." :)

Mike,

Is that angle along the top of the fuselage side of the armrest? I can't tell from the pictures. Would seem to me that the edge closest to the pilot/passenger would be the edge to reinforce. Is there room to do this underneath the arm rest?

T.

It's along the edge closest to the pilot/passenger. There is definitely room to do this under the armrest, however, you will have to cut down the 063 angle to make it not visible.

I didn't reinforce because many builders said it was unnecessary. I'm taking the same verbal instruction approach as Bob.