prkaye

Well Known Member
I've been pumping the fluid through my brake lines, and it was all going pretty well, except for one fitting which is leaking through the AN822 elbow fitting pipe thread into the master cylinder (left brake, pilot side). When I pump the brakes, brake fluid weeps out around this fitting from the master cylinder and eventually starts dripping.
I've tried tightening the fitting, and taking it off and applying more fuel lube. No help. It's on there really tight - I'm afraid to tighten it any more for fear of stripping the threads in the master cylinder.
Suggestions?

Phil I went through this with two fittings on my 7. I sent a cylinder back to Vans for replacement because the threads were poorly tapped, but the replacement wasn't that much better. I ended up cleaning the threads, removing any burrs and used some teflon tape on the troublesome fitting. I didn't want to do this but it did fix the problem. I've had no issues with the fitting leaking anymore and have over 350 landings on the aircraft. If you use the tape just be careful how it is applied on the threads.

Ok thanks,
I held my breath, clenched my teeth and reefed around on that fittings hard as I could. It's over a whole turn past finger tight, but I didn't hear anything break. The leak appears to have stopped, so I'm going to call this good.