Fallguy

As I stand at the edge of the builder pool, I am curious what percentage of you (us--I've already stuck my toes in the water) plan on keeping your build tools subsequent to completing your new airplane.

It seems obvious to me that they could come in handy for maintenance or mishaps, but do you become emotionally attached or do you want to just have a couple of grand extra to buy 100LL?

For me, I suspect that I will go the new tool route; that's my style. Thinking about the light at the end of it all, I also suspect that keeping the rivet guns, squeezers, dimplers and the like will hold my mental and emotional connection to what was actually accomplished.

It also makes it easier to start on a -10 a few years later (our second child is due in late April 2006).

FS or not

I, myself, have a hard time with selling tools. I may need them for something down the road. They become "worthless" when trying to sell them, when, compared to what they cost new. Besides, they are already paid for. they're no liability, only an asset, to use on the -10. I'd say keep'em, doesn't cost anything. :)

Marshall Alexander
RV10 wings/tanks

Keepin' mine! And my philosophy when buying tools is go for the best - most of the time its just a few dollars more. To me, quality tools make all the difference and they generally last longer.

If I know I'm only going to use it once or twice, then perhaps a trip to Harbor Freight is in order.

Happy with my Sioux air tools. The only tool I bought used (from the Yard Store) is my pneumatic squeezer. Works great and I couldn't build without it.

I'll be keepin' mine - I tend to be a pack rat anyway, and am very attached to tools of any kind.
Plus, I doubt this is my last RV!

Thomas
-8 wings

I plan on keeping mine. I anticipate having "builders withdrawl" when this plane is done.

I also anticiapte avfuel will be about $120 a gallon (g) so I may not be able to actually FLY what I'm building and I'll need something to do.

You bet I'm keeping them

Keeping my tools is part of justifying building my next plane. Of course, I bought the best tools I could using the justification that if I built two planes the tools would be half price (less with inflation) and if I build three planes they'd be 1/3 the price and so on.

Don

ps Yeah I understand what circular logic is but not everyone else does and I use it to my advantage (too bad the wife took a logic class in college).