SvingenB

Well Known Member
Rather amusing reading:
http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/proficiency/flight-training/pilots-versus-aviators.html

I read something similar several years ago in Pilot Magazine, but that article had a more general approach. I "pilot" liked to sit at 30 thousand feet with golden stripes on the arms while an aviator liked to land a bush plane on the river bank sort of thing.

Anyway, this pressure vs movement of controls is rather interesting, but is it correct? And is it the only way? Myself I don't think at all, not pressure not movement, I just do, I have no idea where the stick is or how much pressure is involved. It's like starting a car with manual transmission on a steep hill. If you start thinking about the clutch, brakes, throttle, your feet in terms of anything, you will surely stall the engine or roll backward. You just have "to do it", let your feet do the job while you concentrate on the traffic. Landing in hard crosswind is much the same I think, you concentrate on getting the right attitude, speed, decent rate while your hands and feet do the job without you having to think about it.