RickWoodall

Well Known Member
I have spent a bunch of money on my build. I have enjoyed most of it and the end is in sight.
As I opened up my new purchases and got started on the panel install, something significant occured.

I unpacked one product from a big firm that starts with a G. I started reading the little booklet. WARNING highlighted. Then NOTICE, then CAUTION...then more fine print and legal disclaimers. Holly Cr@p, not a word in the whole package about installation instructions, how the stupid tray fits, how to hook up the antennae, very light info on how to use the product once installed and not a single nice or polite word to be found. No thanks or congratulation for buying our product..nothing. I think I feel used. :rolleyes:

I have dealt with so many great suppliers, small business people who I truly enjoy giving money to...that this large maker of my transponder...really rubbed me the wrong way.

Abby at Flightline, Larry at Vetterman, Sam at Saber, Mahlon at Mattituck, even the folks like Edward Reicher who is making my intersection fairings, or Craig at Catto have all given outstanding service. I have got responses to emails on weekends and holidays, had follow up phone calls etc. I have always had a Thanks and felt good about my purchase and knew my dumb questions would get answered promtlyand courteously.

This big "G" firm could not even give me the basic info I need to install their product or a simple "Thanks" in any of the literature, they were absolutely CTA with all the legal jargon to protect themselves if I fall out of the sky or fry my transponder. I am just number 23485 in the sales book, next.

I like little guys and the manuals that say "thanks for buying our product" or congratulation on purchasing the finest ........ This is honestly the first thing I have bought I dont like. Bummer, I guess we have just been spoiled.

Just thought it was worth pointing out how many great suppliers we have and how nice "experimental" is over "certified"

Rick,

I am with you brother!. I thought the same thing when I opened mine. I do have the installation manual if you need it. I can email it to you. The good news, Dynon will have their transponder out soon. Mayber you should just go with that?

Rick I have to tell you, out of all the manufacturers I've worked with through my build, no company even came close to the comprehensive documentation and easy to follow installation manual, wiring diagrams and pilot's guide as Garmin. It was so obvious in so many places that they have pilots and avionics installers on their design team rather than a team of academics that have never been off the ground. (No offense to the academics out there! I have several in my family...none of them can fly.) :)

Some might say that a 562 page Pilot's Guide is overkill (seriously it's 562 pages) but many of those pages are filled with large graphics and pictures to help simple minded pilots like me understand and use all the functions of their system. Those guides and manuals are a huge investment in their consumer's experience and I really appreciate it.

I'm sorry you didn't get the installation manual with your unit and have not had the same experience!

- Peter

PS - In terms of a "thank you", I've received and continue to receive lots of thanks and appreciation from the team at SteinAir. The handshake at Oshkosh from the Garmin guys was OK too. They seems appreciative. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Unfortunately Garmin is a victim of their own success. Frankly I'm almost surprised they haven't abandoned aviation entirely. Its only a metter of time before some poor soul augers in and the lawsuits will be filed against Garmin; not because they actually have anything to do with the crash but because they have huge assets. If you are a mom and pop shop of course you can be sued as well but its less likely because greedy plaintiff lawyers take advise from Willie Sutton and sue every large company in sight - because "that's where the money is...".

I don't know what I'm putting in my -10's panel yet but Garmin will get full consideration. I have confidence they will survive long term. That's not something I can say with as much confidence with the other guys. But I like small companies and such. Glad I don't have to decide yet.

Cisco is the same way w/ their IT products, they assume an expert is unboxing it and knows what to do

Garmin is stingy with the install manuals. They assume their products are being installed by avionics shops that work on certified stuff all day and that they have access to all the current manuals.

The operation manuals are not enough info to install one of their products. The install manuals are very detailed.

Last edited:
Bendix-King won't deal with anyone. Even a certified avionics shop that isn't one of their dealers. Garmin is pretty OK, but I don't like that they swallowed the better avionics company, UPS-AT. UPS was truely a built-by, run-by pilots company, which reflected in the products their produced.

The "what would we want" in a radio attitude that produced the CNX80 has me wishing I could find/afford one.

Another company that overdoes that stuff is JPI, when you see the difference between a JPI an EI engine montior it's almost comical. I prefer the JPI product, but I'm installing EI's because of the company.

The short answer is YES.

The build process today with pre cut, pre punched, matched drilled holes, quick built options and vendor add on kits is so easy as really dumb person can do it.

All it takes is money, literacy, a little patience and the desire to do it. There is very little experimentation as the airplanes have been proven, are safe and a delight to fly. I'm surprised the government has let this adventure run as long as it has.

It's not like it is universally OK to have fun, it is government verboten at many places on planet earth.

Benefits

95% of this stuff (skills and knowledge base) is well outside of what we do each day for a living, or made us successful enough in our careers that we can enjoy expensive hobbies like this. Most of us started with the same silly questions..you see the newbies sign on now and just smile when you read their first few posts and questions. Part of the learning curve we all went through. I couldnt imagine building without this forum.

My point of the thread was not to mash anyone, just point out how "friendly and helpful" most of our suppliers are and how I believe that has really grown the industry. It is just nice supporting nice people, and I enjoy reading through manuals that teach me things...and start off with a "Thanks for purchasing our product". I dont like being just a number.

A quick flip through Vertical Power or Dynon manuals compared to Garmin is exactly what I am talking about. It would not cost Garmin anything to throw a "THANKS-congratulations, you have purchased one of the finest aviation products available. We appreciate you trusting us for your avionics needs" into each box, even a link to a youtube type video of the operation, or features. It costs nothing...but saves tech questions and builds loyalty and support.

Last edited: