Camillo

Well Known Member
Hi to everyone.
It's panel time for my 9A and I finally decided for the classic 6 analog instruments, with the difference of a Dynon EFIS D10A in place of attitude gyro and attitude gyro in place of T/C (and Dynon EMS-D120, as engine monitor and HSI, under radio). My idea would be to expand the panel to have IFR funcionality (double VOR and double radio).

I'm planning to buy Van's altimeter, airspeed and VS indicators. My question is: since they are not TSO, are they accurate? Would you believe them as EFIS backup during night/IFR operations? If not, which brand would you suggest me? I searched for a specific thread but I didn't find it.

Thank-you.
Camillo

Cam,

I had my VFR transponder check done last week, which included an AS and altimeter check.

My Van's AS & Altimeter are plumed in with my Dynon D100 and the check showed the altimeters to be w/in 7 feet of each other and the airspeed indicators on both units matched.

How long they will remain that way is anyone's guess.

I'm not familiar with the accuracy of Van's instruments, but my "transponder guy" always recommends that the altimeter be TSOd. It needs to match up with your blind encoder and he says that most non-TSOd altimeters are "all over the place."

Mel I have a Van's Altimeter and a Dynon like Camillo, and my plan is to feed the Transponder from the Dynon. Any problem with that? (I'm not flying yet).

Larry

Thank-you both.

I found this http://www.avionics.com/Avionics OnLine/kitplane.htm
It says the same.

Actually, I also checked Uma website and they only have TSO'd airspeed indicators. Van's does not specify if they sell the non TSO version. Looking at the price, it seems to be non TSO.

I also checked Aircraft Spruce website, and I found that they don't sell TSO altimeter. Falcon gauge instruments are all non TSO (I checked their web site's faq).

I shall search a different supplier for at least an altimeter (TSO).

Camillo

lrfrey said:
Mel I have a Van's Altimeter and a Dynon like Camillo, and my plan is to feed the Transponder from the Dynon. Any problem with that? (I'm not flying yet).

Larry
My "guy" says that the Dynon altimeter and encoder seem to work fine. He has done quite a few and says that the Dynon passes every time. (Some of the other EFIS don't!)

Thats what I do

lrfrey said:

Larry

And it works great.

Frank 7a 180 hours IFR

Technical Standard Order

"TSO'd" means the piece of equipment meets the performance requirements set forth in the applicable Technical Standard Order (I think it's TSO-C10b for sensitive altimeters).

Equipment that complies with the TSO meets the performance standards required for certified aircraft.

non tso gages

My non TSO's airspeed was off by 3o knots on first flight. Just knew it had to be my pitot static system so I spent hours rechecking every connection. Turned out to be a bad a/s indicator, brand new, non TSO. Later when I had a xponder and mode c installed, the non TSO altimeter was over 120 feet out of tolerance. Spend the extra money and get good flight instraments especially if your going to fly IFR.

Instrument accuracy

A few months ago I led a 5 ship formation cross country of 5 RV's which had everything from Van's steam guages up to dual Blue Mts.

I radioed out a new altimeter setting which everyone acknowledged. On a Lark I asked for everyone to confirm our altitudes. No two were close! I was shocked by the variations inindicated altitudes.

OK. Thank-you to everybody.

I think I will go with full-TSO'd as follow:

- airspeed UNITED...$425+40 (custom marking colours);
- altimeter UNITED...$681;
- vsi UNITED...$360;
- gyro RC Allen...$655;
- att. gyro RC Allen...$750 (8? tilt) (tbc).

I found these prices much cheaper than Aircraft Spruce and Chief aircraft on www.tghaviation.com
Does anyone know these guys? Has anyone already bought from them? (Edit: unfortunately, they don't sell nor ship in Europe).

Bye.
Camillo

Last edited:
Vern said:
A few months ago I led a 5 ship formation cross country of 5 RV's which had everything from Van's steam guages up to dual Blue Mts.

I radioed out a new altimeter setting which everyone acknowledged. On a Lark I asked for everyone to confirm our altitudes. No two were close! I was shocked by the variations inindicated altitudes.
But, the differences in reported indicated altitudes are the sum of many different sources:

1. altimeter instrument error,
2. static system position error, due to non-standard static ports, skin contour variations around the static ports, etc,
3. static system leaks,
4. all aircraft not at the exact same altitude,
5. some pilots rounding off the reported altitude, and others not, etc.