hughfi

Well Known Member
Hi there,

I want to buy a RED LED strip that I can connect into an existing vans dimmer that I can put under the top panel lip. Anyone got any recommendations?

Thx.

Hugh.

Most any 12v LED strip will work. These already have the current limiting resistor wired in. E-Bay is a good option.

Just get them from Steinair....

Most any 12v LED strip will work. These already have the current limiting resistor wired in. E-Bay is a good option.

http://www.steinair.com/lights.htm

redledstrip.jpg

Sure hope the one I paid way more for is better in some way....Otherwise I got ripped a new one. :confused:

I've always thought LED lights needed pulsed width modulation to dim properly, but the Vans offering looks to be a simple variable voltage regulator.

Out of curiosity, of those that have LED lighting with the standard dimmer, do they dim easily and over a large range or is the dimming action very sensitive or "touchy" and abrupt between full bright and dim?

I've always thought LED lights needed pulsed width modulation to dim properly, but the Vans offering looks to be a simple variable voltage regulator.

Out of curiosity, of those that have LED lighting with the standard dimmer, do they dim easily and over a large range or is the dimming action very sensitive or "touchy" and abrupt between full bright and dim?

I have the Van's L.E.D. strip and their dimmer. I'm pleased with it so far (1 YR flying with about 10 hours of it actual night time). I have my ADI P II on the same dimmer.

I got the one from Stein (90.00?) in blue and it went under my glaresheild. Then I added more for the side panels and back seat that I got from Auto Zone. Way cheaper but they look the same. All are attached to a dimmer and work beautifully.

Scott

Since these...

..."automotive-like" ones are designed for 12 volts, I think they are just made with a series resistor creating the correct current for the volt or so across the actual LED.

So, as the voltage drops, the current - and hence light output - falls proportionally.