ArVeeNiner

Well Known Member
I think I need to figure this one out once and for all. The registration for my RV-9A states that the airplane is an Experimental, Amateur Built aircraft. My Airworthiness Certificate states that it's an Experimental, Exhibition aircraft. I questioned the FSDO guy about it last year and he said something about that being the way they do it. Obtaining the AC from this guy was a bit frustrating so I didn't push it at that point.

The limitations letter doesn't say anything about me operating the plane for "air shows, motion pictures, television, and similar productions, and for the maintenance of exhibition flight proficiency." It looks like your standard amateur built operating limitations letter. When I look up my tail number on the FAA site, it states in the airworthiness block that it's Experimental Amateur Built. The only place that it states that is Exhibition is on the pink slip itself. Perhaps this is an error. This wouldn't be the first error I've had to deal with during the registration process.

Is this something I should fix or just leave it be?

That's an error

Get it corrected! See the FSDO.

Exhibition is a separate kind of Experimental.

Like Vern says. THAT'S WRONG!

Get it fixed.

If you have a problem with the inspector, talk to his manager.

Yours isn't the only one. Both of the LongEZ's I built are registered as "Experimental- Amateur Built/Exhibition/Air Racing" as noted on the pink Special Airworthiness certificates and the Operating Limitations. One of the birds was re-registered at the same FSDO as the original issuing station and the Operating Limitations Letter and Pink remained titled as per the original. The first was 1983; the second was 1989 registration. I've been ramp checked twice by the FAA (with no issues) so I'm not so sure anything needs to be done by the OP.

Yours isn't the only one. Both of the LongEZ's I built are registered as "Experimental- Amateur Built/Exhibition/Air Racing" as noted on the pink Special Airworthiness certificates and the Operating Limitations. One of the birds was re-registered at the same FSDO as the original issuing station and the Operating Limitations Letter and Pink remained titled as per the original. The first was 1983; the second was 1989 registration. I've been ramp checked twice by the FAA (with no issues) so I'm not so sure anything needs to be done by the OP.

Actually it does.

Airplanes can be certificated in multipal categories (though I am not sure why yours is).
In the OP's case he only has Exhibition which has much more restrictive operating limitations than experimental amateur built (which you have as one of yours so it is not an issue for you).

Ahhh, I didn't read the OP's post accurately; his definitely needs to be fixed! The older EZ was used in a few TV shows, movies, commercials, etc and the FAA decided to allow those activities only with Exhibition category registration. I raced the planes (closed course) hence the air racing add-on.

Last edited:
A/W Certificate

Yes, it needs to be fixed, and most likely FSDO will have to do it. Most DAR's can only issue Initial Airworthiness Certificates.

Vic

I have the authority to do initial, recurrent, replacement, and amended airworthiness certificates.
But the FSDO did it wrong, they should be the ones to fix it.
If you want to find a DAR that can do it, look for DAR with function codes 33 and 46.

Mel updated my OL and cert for a very fair price, at lightening speed. If I were you I wouldn't spend the time or effort messing with the FSDO, I'd just have Mel do it and get it off my plate....

I'd go with Mel

I've not had to do anything like the OP is asking, but I am willing to pay a reasonable fee to avoid the government inefficiency that seems to be the norm. Mel inspected my experimental, ( actually inspected, not just paperwork ) and I'd go with him, or a reputable DAR and get the issue fixed, not run into the federal blender...

KB

Thanks for the responses. I think I'll give the FSDO a chance to fix it. I sure hope it's much less frustrating this time around with him!