A quick search here on VAF will yield both sides of your question.

That said, the RV-12 has MOLEX connectores.

If you want something that provides a disconnect method and decide MOLEX is not your first choice, you might consider CPC (Circular Plastic Connectors).

Molex & VPX

The VPX-Pro uses Molex MX-150 connectors at the unit. The only down-side I have seen so far is that the Molex crimper is $400.00 :eek: Fortunately Vertical Power has a rental program -they also sell a lower-priced crimper at a cost of $75.00 - still ouchy, but a bit better.

Last edited:
I did not find any Molex connectors with the designations TNX and BSTRGRDS.

However, Molex power "wire to wire" connectors are used.

For instance, Whelen lights commonly come with the AMP version of the wire to wire power connectors. While they don't interchange, the basic functionality is the same.

The VPX-Pro uses Molex connectors at the unit. The only down-side I have seen so far is that the Molex crimper is $400.00 :eek: Fortunately Vertical Power has a rental program -they also sell a lower-priced crimper at a cost of $75.00 - still ouchy, but a bit better.

Molex is a brand name and they make thousands of types of connectors. The ones on the VP stuff are very high end.

The typical plug that most call a Molex connector are very different. (Many different brands of what looks similar but may or may not interchange...) Amp makes basically the same thing. White/semi transparent connectors with stamped pins.

092-560_s.jpg

Lots of mixed opinions about the more common inexpensive ones.....

Last edited:
Whelan uses the Amp Mate-N-Lok connectors on their strobes. I was suprised to find that out, those connectors don't have a positive latching mechanism, just a detent. For some of my smaller connections I am using Molex micro-fit connectors. These are the same used by Dynon for the OAT probe and the backup battery. They have a positive latch and look like they will do the job well.

The weather-pak connectors look like the best option for power connectors. They aren't cheap, but robust with a good automotive service history.

Well, are they (MOLEX connectors) good enough for use in homebuilts?
TNX and BSTRGRDS
Mike

Mike:

I used Molex style (AMP Mate and Lock) though out my RV-6 project. In September 2013, it will have been flying 16-years. It presently has over 2,700 flying hours.

Have had very little to no problem with the connectors. I did buy spare contacts, spare connectors, and contact removal tools during the build so as to have spare parts when needed.

Yes there are better connectors but the Molex style Amp Mate and Lock connectors are good enough and are some of the lowest cost connectors that are acceptable to me.

I used a crimp tool that was less than $25 and it has worked well through out the years. I do a pull test on all contacts once they are crimped. If the contact cannot be pulled off the wire with moderate effort using my fingers, it is good enough to place into the connector and fly on my airplane.

As you can tell, I like the Molex style connectors and find them to be a great value with good service on my RV.

Boy, you know, I'd love to see how it is people are losing their Mate N Lock connections on the Whelen Strobes because there's no locking mechanism. I would think every rivet in the plane would come loose before you could get those connections unstuck, especially if the bundles are well supported and anchored.

It's the least of my worries in my plane.