miyu1975

Well Known Member
Are the cowlings a little different for IO 360 angle valve vs the parallel valve for the 7? The reason I ask is that last night I was reading an older article (15years) in the 20Years of RV mag and it was talking about how a guy had to make a bunch on cowling mods to fit his IO 360 A1B6 angle valve. He was building a 6a.

I am close to getting my hands on a this engine for my 7. And was wondering since I already have cowling that came in the finishing kit.

Eng1.jpg

Ryan,
I have a parallel valve horizontal induction IO-360-M1B and specified as such on the Van's Finishing Kit Order.

My cowling has loads of space around the sides of the engine. The closest it comes to the front rocker covers is about two inches. I was a little surprised at this as I had previously read advice about installing quarter turn fastener receptacles to ensure they were positioned between the cylinders to avoid interference. I had no such worries.

My cowlings halves were labelled 7-IO TOP and 7-IO BOT. Whether they are for the parallel or angle valve I don't know. I've just got on and worked with them.

On the Van's order form they do distinguish between -M1B and -A1B6 so there may be different cowls.

"Engine type (circle one) O-320-D1A O-360-A1A IO-360-M1B IO-360-A1B6"

Maybe they sent me an -A1B6 cowl :)

Last edited:
Cowls

I do know the parallel valve vert induction cowl is narrower than the parallel valve horiz induct (smooth bottom) cowl. I was under the impression that there were just 2 types of cowls; the vert induction narrow cowl for O-360 or the wider Horiz induction cowl which also fits the IO series.

Number 1 cylinder clearance...

The top cowling for an angle valve engine has a square of the honeycomb missing above the most forward right cylinder to gain sufficient clearance.

The top cowling for an angle valve engine has a square of the honeycomb missing above the most forward right cylinder to gain sufficient clearance.
Yep, mine had that. Was an extra minor complication when glassing in the top cowl inlet ramps.

I was under the impression that there were just 2 types of cowls; the vert induction narrow cowl for O-360 or the wider Horiz induction cowl which also fits the IO series.
So that could well be true.

I called vans and Dale said the cowl for the ie.. IO 360 M1B and A1B6 are the same. The M1B would just have more room inside than the A1B6.

Sounds like might cause me to do some cutting and fiberglassing???...Dale at Vans didn't mention this.

Are the cowlings a little different for IO 360 angle valve vs the parallel valve for the 7?

Sounds like might cause me to do some cutting and fiberglassing???...Dale at Vans didn't mention this.

The vertical induction cowl and the the horizontal induction cowl (without the bottom scoop) are totally different. It would take a lot more than a little bit of cutting and fiberglassing to make an angle valve engine fit in a parallel valve cowling (if that is what you have)
The cowl with no induction scoop in the bottom half was designed for use with the 200 HP angle valve engine (the cowl Dale was talking about), not the M1B. It is a close fit on the angle valve engine, which is the reason some of honeycomb core material is deleted in a couple of areas. It also works for the M1B, it just has a bit more room.

Last edited:
Actually I found out tonight the engine is actually a IO 360 A1A, 200hp, (pic'd above) horizontal induction. I already have the cowl with no scoop, so we're good there. From my research I don't believe there are any issues with this engine and my cowling set up.

Tear down is under way... :rolleyes: