mdredmond

Well Known Member
Hi all,

Haven't pulled the trigger on a kit yet... very close to sending Van's a check for a -9.

I'm curious about the 'workshops' where you build your tail feathers in a week-long class. Seems like a good learning experience and a good bit of progress for a single week. A self-done fast build, really. Costs about $1500.

Does anyone have any opinions on this? Good idea or save the money?

Thanks!

Very much worth it !

I did the Alexander Tech Center workshop and was really glad I did. Besides the fact that I completed the emp (all the main components anyway) in a week. The real value was what I learned and that it gave me the confidence that this is doable. Learning how to read the prints, use the tools and having someone to check my work really got things started right. It was money very well spent.
My only regret is that I didn't order my QB kit the same day I ordered the empennage. Some of the newly learned skills got a bit rusty waiting for the QB to arrive.

I've taken three...

...here are the reviews:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=4444

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=5785

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=5786

My conclusion - 1 or 2-day workshops are without question worth it. "Build your tail" workshops are great if:
1 - you are in the quick-build kit camp, or
2 - if it is simple and affordable for you to do, or
3 - if a 1 or 2-day workshop still leaves you less than confident enough to dive into your empennage.

Based on my reading of others' feedback, the week-long workshops vary greatly in what is offered and how they are conducted. Look very closely.

I am glad I did it, and like most things in life, it really helps to know what your specific objectives are ahead of time.

George

buddies

I'm currently building an RV10. I didn't do any of the workshops, my brother was building an RV9A when I bought the emp for the -10. He's since finished the 9A, in my hanger. I also have friends that live really close by to get assistance from. :) If money's really no object then I'd sy go for it. However, if you're as lucky, :D as I was, you'll have enough friends to help you learn the prints, how to use the tools you're most likely buy, without the specialty ones, & a number of other practices, I'd say save your money & buy something for the airplane with the savings. I, personally don't feel I've lost out on anything by not attending one of the workshops.

Marshall Alexander
RV10 Wings almost complete

A capital YES

I had ZERO metal experience, and no local resources to tap. It made a HUGE difference in my approach to the project. Attended Alexander Tech Center ... (class of March 2003) Money WELL spent.

I took the SynergyAir workshop & it was really good. If you are not confidant about your skills, a workshop is a must. I have seen some folks make very slow progress because they were afraid to make a mistake.

If time, distance, cost or convenience prevent you from attending a workshop, here are some alternatives:

Work thru your local EAA chapter to start a builder's group so folks can visit various projects in your area, meet other builders & make contacts for instruction & help. All you gotta do is be the one to schedule the get togethers & notify others of time & place. I did this & it is not hard. Our emphasis is to help each other learn & get over the rought spots.

Ask a technical counselor or other builder to help you get started, show you the ropes.

Food for thought: A local couple bought a project someone else had started. They asked an expert to look it over. He said the riveting on the HS was unacceptable, but that the builder had learned as he went, so the other emp. parts he had done were OK. They drilled out all the HS rivets & replaced them. Attend a workshop & your work is much more likely to be OK from day 1.

Sportair

I practiced a lot on scrap pieces then started my empennage, had to drill out a few rivets but everything seemed OK, but you dont really know until someone with more experience or an inspector looks it over. Then I learned of a sportair basic metal workshop being given in my area, (Ottawa, Canada)

I'm very glad that I attended this workshop with Mr Jack Dueck as instructor. The 2 day workshop gave me the confidence required to continue and confirmed that I was on the right track. If you have the chance of attending a workshop with Jack, Go for it well worth the money and peace of mind :)

Yes

I worked in aerospace all my adult life but I had not done any sheetmetal work. The industry has learned a lot about what it takes to build a good metal airplane over many years of technical evolution. The class I took for 2 or 3 days at Van's (not available anymore) told me what the important processes were and how to do them. Knowledge and a little practice in dealing with a variety of tasks is what I needed. When I started the plane I was totally on my own and I worked very carefully but I never ran into something that I couldn't figure out - because of that class! If you have no experience working with sheetmetal you can very quickly destroy what can be a beautiful thing.

Bob Axsom

Thanks

Thanks everyone for all the great input. I'm sorry I missed the other threads on this topic - should have looked harder.

Thanks again!

-matt