jtrollin

Well Known Member
So thinking about getting the roll servo and mounting it in my wing before skinning it up and have not yet decided which autopilot to use, can I make the servo decision now and just control the servo with what ever autopilot I choose down the road (ie buy a Dynon AP Servo and control it with a trutrak autopilot?).

Also looking at the RV-10 plans and how the autopilot mounts to the brackets on the main spar it looks like there is no way to access the leading edge side of those brackets once the leading edge is riveted to the main spar. If I mount my autopilot servo there will there be anyway to remove and replace the servo once the leading edge is riveted on the to spar? It seems odd that there is no access to the back side of those bolts once the leading edge is on.

thanks

So thinking about getting the roll servo and mounting it in my wing before skinning it up and have not yet decided which autopilot to use, can I make the servo decision now and just control the servo with what ever autopilot I choose down the road (ie buy a Dynon AP Servo and control it with a trutrak autopilot?).

No, servos for the most part aren't interchangeable between the vendors. It would also end up giving you a nightmare for support, should support be needed.

Also looking at the RV-10 plans and how the autopilot mounts to the brackets on the main spar it looks like there is no way to access the leading edge side of those brackets once the leading edge is riveted to the main spar. If I mount my autopilot servo there will there be anyway to remove and replace the servo once the leading edge is riveted on the to spar? It seems odd that there is no access to the back side of those bolts once the leading edge is on.
thanks

There are nutplates for those screws, so access to the other side isn't an issue. I replaced the van's supplied mounting bracket for the trutrack on after my wings were assmbled and leading edges attached.

You're right.. I wasn't thinking

There is a nutplate there... for some reason I thought it was a washer and nut on the other side.

thanks.

No, servos for the most part aren't interchangeable between the vendors. It would also end up giving you a nightmare for support, should support be needed.

There are nutplates for those screws, so access to the other side isn't an issue. I replaced the van's supplied mounting bracket for the trutrack on after my wings were assmbled and leading edges attached.