ao.frog

Well Known Member
Hi.

I'm about to order a 406 ELT (mandatory from 1st of Feb 2009 in Norway) and I'd prefer a drop-in replacement for my AmeriKing 450 and it's remote.

Does anyone know if I can use the same bracket, wiring and hole in the instrument panel if I replace the 450 with a 451? They look the same on pics but are the dimensions and the bracket exactly the same?

Any suggestions where I can find the best buy?

Thanks!

Yes. I checked into this recently. I have some files from Ameri-king that I could email you, if interested.
Roger Evenson, Tucson, AZ

They are indeed equal..

Hi.

Just a followup to my first post:

Yes, the 450 and 451 are indeed equal in size.
I bought a 451 direct from AmeriKing recently and they where great people to work with.

To do the switch, I'd to do the following:
Swop the tray, the remote, the antenna, antenna-cable and the ELT itself ofcourse.

The wiring could be used as it was and that was nice! :)

The swop was done in approx 10 minutes.
In addition came the time for getting access to the ELT and close up again. (I've the ELT mounted on Vans ELT/Strobe bracket behind the baggage area in my -7)

PS: The time limit for the swop to a 406 ELT has been changed to 1st of July instead of 1st of Feb here in Norway. (in case anyone wondered if I had been flying with an illegal ELT...)

Ameriking 450 to 451 Swap

I removed an Ameriking 450 and replaced it with a 451. Both units appear to have the same outside dimensions. The swap couldnt be simpler, you remove the old unit from the mounting bracket and install the new 451 using the same bracket, cables, and remote unit. The only thing that requires changing is the antenna. I used the same mounting bracket and the 451 fit perfectly.

Mike Shook
RV-9a
954WG

Last edited:
Antenna question

I've got my 450 antenna mounted on the left rear wall just behind the pilot.

I presume for the 451 the antenna really does need to be mounted externally. Is this correct?

Is the 451 antenna similar in size to the 450 antenna?

Timely information

Just going on raw wave length the 406 antenna should be shorter but who knows how it is loaded. There is a cross country air race planned for August 28, 2010 in Canada so I guess I'll be learning the ugly details of requirements and change until then. I do not intend to mount the antenna outside in the breeze.

Bob Axsom

Yes on the 406...

Just going on raw wave length the 406 antenna should be shorter but who knows how it is loaded. There is a cross country air race planned for August 28, 2010 in Canada so I guess I'll be learning the ugly details of requirements and change until then. I do not intend to mount the antenna outside in the breeze.

Bob Axsom

...for wavelength, but I think you are forgetting that these new 406 ELTs are also transmitting on 121.5/243 so the antenna lengths should be similar to the old style ELTs....:)

The 451 antenna is <1 foot long and is a SS wire. Antennas work well at 1/4 and other wavelength multiples of the transmit frequency (1/4 wl @ 406 mhz = 7.3 in). I mounted the antenna behind the canopy of my RV9a in the same location as the pre-existing 450 antenna. You need to make an important and difficult decision when mounting ELT antennas. To remain functional the antenna needs to be mounted where it wont get sheared off or end up in stuck in the earth, after an accident . You can mount it inside the fuselage in a nonconductive composite a/c. In an aluminum a/c, you might mount it under the canopy, but the proper location is a difficult choice if you want the antenna to remain undamaged and able to transmit after an accident.

Mike Shook
RV9-a
942WG

Last edited:
So, nobody so far has posted a price as requested by Alf. I have seen the 451 for about $789 in a couple of places. Anybody seen one cheaper?

greg