ArVeeNiner

Well Known Member
OK, I gotta ask. Last night, at our EAA meeting, a gentleman stated that since all homebuilts are one of a kind, unique aircraft, they are historically significant aircraft. Therefore, we can display them 12 times a year and be exempt from paying yearly property tax. Now, I do have to say I've wondered this myself but I would think that this kind of loop hole would be plugged pretty quickly. He went off about some guy who sucessfully sued over this and won.

Now, bear in mind that almost in the same breath, this guy also said that we don't have to pay any federal taxes. Tell that to Wesley Snipes. This guy has come up with some doozies at our meetings over the years so I'm not buying it.

But, I have to say, all homebuilts ARE unique...especially one off designs. We can take any RV (sans the 12), make a small mod, and have something that really isn't an RV-XX anymore. In fact, we can call it anything we want to. Now I don't believe that this kind of thing is really happening much out there but if not, why not?

Now please excuse me while I continue building my one of a kind Super Belchfire 5000 GT. :D

Last edited:
You live in California. California needs money. Yes, this is well known way to get out of paying the yearly property tax, and this works well for aircraft that are 25 years or older. It will not work for a <25 year old RV...but it's free to try :) If you can find the 'guy', that could help. Rosie

I believe rule is that the magic age is 35 years old, or one of only 5 or less examples of the type in existence.

This less than 5 clause is what folks use to argue the "one off" nature of homebuilts.

Dont know if anyone has successfully gotten out of the taxes with that logic.

I have a friend who used to display is 1965(?) Cessna 182 at 12 shows a year and got out of property taxes in California.

Worked for him.

Yep, that worked for me when I had my 1951 Aeronca. It was a lot of fun showing it at fly ins.

According to my county, "For purposes of this section, 'aircraft of historical
significance' means any aircraft that is an original, restored, or
replica of a heavier than air powered aircraft that is 35 years or
older or any aircraft of a type or model of which there are fewer
than five in number known to exist worldwide."

I guess the only way this would have worked on an RV is when a certain model first came out and there were truly less than 5 in the world.

You win again tax man. As Snoopy might have said if the tax man showed up at his flying dog house, "Curse you tax man!!"

Last edited:
Curious what taxes are on a typical RV in California...here in luxurious Indiana I only pay $34/year, and our state isn't broke :)

I think Santa Clara County charges 1.25% of the value of the aircraft per year.

$34!?!?? Unbelievable. It sucks to be from a broke state. I guess there is a lot that California is doing wrong. :(

I've heard that it works on experimentals too. I was planning on trying with mine, but I doubt it'll be registered AS an RV-4 when it's done.

Property Tax

Curious what taxes are on a typical RV in California...here in luxurious Indiana I only pay $34/year, and our state isn't broke :)

True, but the average tax rate on a house in Indiana is 2 1/2 times the rate in California. Ya pays you money and takes yer choice...

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Bob, Bob, Bob,

There you go again, giving away our secrets. Keep this up and we will cease to be "fly over country."

Bob Kelly

True, but the average tax rate on a house in Indiana is 2 1/2 times the rate in California. Ya pays you money and takes yer choice...

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Not a fair comparison...our home here is valued by the tax man at $240K...in CA the same home would easily fetch $1M+. ~$1600/yr in property taxes, and increases are capped at 1% by law.

Rv12 cannot be altered prior to certification

So if the RV12 cannot be altered proir to completion ( Per Vans Plans to FAA light-sport) then after complete and pink slip in hand to fly, if that owner/builder changes the instrument panel does this now make the RV-12 one of a kind? Thus making the aircraft exempt of taxes? Because when building the RV-12 nothing can be changed from the orginal plans otherwise you are in violation. ?????????????? Ron

Bob, Bob, Bob,

There you go again, giving away our secrets. Keep this up and we will cease to be "fly over country."

Bob Kelly
Yes, here in the "fly over country" of Oklahoma I am going to try to keep our little secret too and not spill the beans like Bob did about Indiana. However, lets just say that whatever you guys pay in taxes in your state, multiply it times a number that returns a null value to come up with what our annual taxes are on our aircraft.