skyfrog

Well Known Member
I?m certainly new to aircraft building, but devoted to building rather than certified. So I?ve starting gathering a collection of tools (thanks to the classifieds here), and will start practicing (i.e. riveting) soon on Van?s practice kit.

Recently I have been ?battling? for tools on EBay with some difficulty. My intent was to buy used equipment and try it out. For example, buy a 2X and 3X rivet gun and try them both out. The one I didn?t like would wind up back on EBay.

Unfortunately, the bidding on EBay has been high enough (you know who you are) on used equipment that it would almost be more practical to buy new. But I don?t want to buy new unless I?m certain on which tool is preferred.

This leads me to the old 3X versus 2X, Hand versus Pneumatic, Alligator versus C-Yoke, etc., etc., etc.

So?can someone direct me to the archives for this forum? I?m sure I can find my answers there rather than start a new thread.

John Edwards
89% Decided on an RV9A *
Tool Gathering Stage

? 1% - It would be nice to have the 7A aerobatics for those temptations.
? 5% - Maybe I could afford an RV-10 in a few years.
? 5% - Just in case medicals force a Sport Pilot option, an RV-12 would be nice, but where is it?
:confused:

The only way to get stuff on Ebay is with a sniper program. If I see something I want I figure the top dollar I want to pay for it and put it in a snipe that bids for me 10 seconds before the end of the auction. I usually get about 1/3 of the things i bid on and never get into a bidding war and pay too much. I use auctionsniper.com . Don

To search the archives, you want to hit the "search" button up on the top tool - it's as intelligent as any search engine - I'd try "2X" and "3X" and see what you get!

Good Hunting!

Paul

Thanks

A few months ago, I thought I saw a lively discussion on rivet guns. But I can't find it anymore when I do the regular search. I assumed these threads must have a lifespan and they get deleted after a period of time. Oh Well.

...and thanks for the EBay tool, that should help.

John

You may also wish to check Matt Dralle's "RV List" and its search feature - the search feature works very well, and there are years worth of information to tap into.
As for the 2X/3X debate - I find it a worthwhile to have both - 2X for rivetting skins, and 3X for the 1/8 rivets - the feel of each is quite different - the 2X has faster blows with less force, and I found, particularly for 1/8 rivets in a solid structure, the force is not quite enough.
Bill Brooks

Last edited by a moderator:
yakdriver said:
The only way to get stuff on Ebay is with a sniper program. If I see something I want I figure the top dollar I want to pay for it and put it in a snipe that bids for me 10 seconds before the end of the auction. I usually get about 1/3 of the things i bid on and never get into a bidding war and pay too much. I use auctionsniper.com . Don
Hmmm. I didn't realize they had such a program but that is the way I bid manually. A few minutes before the close of an auction, I reset my computer clock to NIST time and put the second hand on screen. Then a few seconds before close, I hit the bid confirmation button. It works pretty well.
-mike

skyfrog said:
I assumed these threads must have a lifespan and they get deleted after a period of time. Oh Well.

John

John,

I could be wrong (and Doug can correct me), but I don't think anything gets deleted - I have frequently forgotten to set the right parameters on the search page to check back "to the beginning of time..." (or something like that.

Paul