prkaye

Well Known Member
I've almost settled on getting a Sporty's SP-400 handheld.
Question - would an Archer wingtip VOR be suitable to use with the SP-400 to increase NAV range? (I don't intend to use the SP-400 for COM unless I have failure of my primary COM, in which case I can simply re-attach the rubber duck in-flight).
Will the Archer help with LOC/GS as well as VOR?
If so, which particular model of the Archer should I get... Model 1?

You won't have a GS with you SP400. If I was going to the trouble to install an Archer, I think I'd just buy a real nav radio on ebay. They are dirt cheap nowadays, pretty easy to install and way more useful than a LCD readout on the hanheld.

You won't have a GS with you SP400
Actually I believe that is incorrect. Everything I have seen on the SP400 indicates that it does indeed have a Glidescope reciever and display.
Also, the large LCD display on the SP400 has gotten some favourable reviews. Add the fact that it also provides a backup COM solution it seems like quite good value for a brand new unit at $399.

So, back to my original question, does anybody know if the Archer model 1 wingtip VOR antenna would be suitable for use with this radio, to give me increased VOR/LOC/GS range?

Yes, the SP400 does have a GS display.

I imagine that the archer antenna would help the SP400 have better range however I have never had any issues with the range even with the rubber duck antenna. I used mine with an external COM antenna and it worked fine.

The SP400 works. It does have a slower update rate than a traditional NAV receiver but that is not much of a problem.

The SP400 does not have the nice high contrast like they show in all the pictures. It is not even close. So don't expect the screen to be all that great.

I used an SP200 and later an SP400 for a while before getting my 430W and it is usable for practice and as a life saver. It is not suitable for primary use in IMC....backup only.

The com radio portion of the SP200 and SP400 stink because of the crappy noise rejection or lack thereof. They will break squelch with any minor electrical noise. Just flipping a switch within 20ft of one will cause it to pop and crack.

Last edited: