ILikePike

Well Known Member
I want to install a Bob Archer NAV antenna in the right wing tip. I have studied many post and intend to follow the instruction provided with the antenna carefully. I also have the vans wing tip landing light kit installed. How do I deal with the foil heat shield provided with the wing tip landing light kit? Does anyone have pictures of the NAV antenna instalation?

I actually spoke to Bob Archer himself on this (for my RV-10). His reply was that the leading edge of the antenna should be as close to the foil as possible without touching. I left about a 1/4" gap and it worked great. Normally the antenna mounts on the bottom surface of the wingtip but I had a foil MB antenna in one side so the antenna on that side was on the top surface. Both sides worked great - it is important to follow his instructions to the letter (especially wire routing) or performance will be degraded. Sorry, no pix.

Bob

Here's a picture:

P1020177.JPG

Thanks for the picture Craig. It looks like in your picture the antenna is mounted further back than Bob's instruction indicate it should be. I think he intended for the antenna to be very close to the front to keep the light wires very close to the front antenna element. Have you used the antenna yet? If so, how did it work? I appreciate your input.

I'm still in the initial phase of flight testing. It seems to work fine.

It is mounted in accordance with the instructions that were shipping at the time. I don't remember it stressing anything about forward or aft, only about proper grounding and cable geometry.

Here's a picture:

P1020177.JPG

This is all very interesting way of installing it and I like it. Mine has been installed to the last rib of the wing (RV7) and it is as far back as it can go. I have no trouble with VOR reception or accuracy. My IFR test for VOR has been consistently been zero degree error.

Is the propose of foil to disperse heat or there is some other reason for it?

nice

That looks nice and clean, I think I am going to go that route too, instead of an antenna on the belly. I wonder if I would need that foil if i go with led lights?

bird

That looks nice and clean, I think I am going to go that route too, instead of an antenna on the belly. I wonder if I would need that foil if i go with led lights?

bird
You certainly would not. I had halogen light for landing light and had no issues, although I must say that I am not as familiar with the 8 wing tips. Mine were installed in a 7A. But I may put some now that it is open and I am going with HID light.