I am installing both the Bob Archer nav antenna and a marker beacon antenna (copper strip of 38" long) in one of my wingtips. It's not clear from the installation drawing how the two get installed though and I was wondering if someone is flying with the same configuration? Does the marker beacon go underneath the nav antenna with some insulation in between? Wouldn't that potentially short it out to ground? Left Bob a voicemail, but haven't heard back yet so I thought I try a post here on VAF.

Thanks
Andre

Top and Bottom

Andre,

You can install the Bob Archer antenna on the bottom inside surface of the wingtip. Install the copper strip MB antenna on the top inside surface of the wingtip. I used a stripped coax and epoxied it in place.

Sorry... I have no pics readily available.

Don

Bob A. recommended to me to put the MB on the bottom surface and nav on the top surface. Works great, no difference in range from other side with nav on lower surface.

Bob

Thanks Bob. Do you think it would be okay to have them the other way around as well? Nav antenna on the bottom and MB on the top? I already drilled the nav to the bottom wingtip...

Thanks
Andre

And while we're at it - a related question - I am putting HID landing lights in the wingtips. I know they hash the comm antenna (but not nav) pretty hard so Comm's are going on the belly and Archer Nav in the wingtips. My question is whether or not the HID's will also hash the MB antenna reception if it's in the wingtip? Or is the signal strong enough (since you're so close to it at that point) that it comes through the noise?

Not sure how much it matters if nav and MB antennas are switched around (nav on bottom, MB on top). When talking to him though he emphasized a couple of times to route the wiring as directed in the instructions - along the forward edge of the nav antenna using insulated (nylon type) clamps to hold everything in place. Apparently that's one of the most common install issues and WILL cause degraded performance if directions aren't followed.

I originally had halogen MR16 landing lights in the wingtips (RV-10) and upgraded to HIDs later. Balast was mounted to the surface of the outboard rib. I would hear a little white noise in the audio system for the first few seconds but then it would go away and all would be silent. Never saw any issues with nav antenna performance.

Bob