Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
Installing the Archer antenna in the right wingtip...what are people doing about it contacting the heat shield which you're supposed to put down inside the wingtip near the landing/taxi light?

The Archer instructions say to position it very near the lights, for wiring run purposes, but that puts it right on top of the area that will have heat shielding stuck to it...?

Steve

And a second question...the instructions aren't clear about this...

I've seen pictures of the antenna mounted: entirely on the bottom of the wingtip, entirely on the *top* of the wingtip, and angled from bottom to top as you go outboard.

Which is "best"? or is there any "correct" or "best" mounting method here?

I ignored the instructions and mounted mine well back from the light and foil shield. I ran the light wires along the rib until well forward of the antenna, then over to the lights. I think Archer recommends a good electrical connection to the foil heat shield if you do run the antenna over it.

For the VOR/localizer/GS antenna I laid it flat on the bottom of the wingtip, but I think the top or angled would be okay.
For a com antenna angle the leg that the coax attaches to as vertical as possible. I went high to low but low to high is probably just as good. You want as much vertical polarization as possible for the com.

I am satisfied with these antennas. The nav antenna works just fine. The com antenna is not as good as an external whip but I think it does the job okay. I know not everyone is as satisfied as I am about the com, I can't say if I just have lower standards or if my installation or antenna (I made the antenna myself, it's an Archer clone) works a bit better than others.

And a second question...the instructions aren't clear about this...

I've seen pictures of the antenna mounted: entirely on the bottom of the wingtip, entirely on the *top* of the wingtip, and angled from bottom to top as you go outboard.

Which is "best"? or is there any "correct" or "best" mounting method here?

You want the VOR antenna FLAT because the signal from the VOR is Horizontally polarized. If it is on an an angle or vertical, you will end up with less signal strength.

I had several good discussions with Bob Archer himself when I was trying to get better performance out of my antennas a couple of years ago. The bottom line is that it was VERY important to run the wiring bundle to the lights along the antenna itself (where he shows, and gives you little nylon bundling clamps) - he recommended a forward mounting RV wingtips because of this.

AS Gary said, for VOR/LOC, you want the antenna as horizontal as possible. For Comm, run it as vertical as possible. Bob told me that he didn't want to build the Comm antenna because he knew that it's performance wouldn't be very good (due to lack of vertical polarization), but too many people insisted that he give them SOMETHING for Comm. Because of the compromise, it is only good for short ranges, and throws away a lot of the radio's capability.

I have installed mine at the back of the wing tip in such wah that the tip of the antenna goes in the portion of the wing tip next to the ailron. I have a couple of pieces of foam that keeps it striaght . It is mounted to the wing itself for a good and adequat grounding.

Thanks, all...that answers it for me. I'll mount it just barely aft of the foil heat protection area, and flat on the bottom surface.

'Sides, who uses VORs anyway? LOL! (I keed, I keed...we all do, and I need this for LOC/GS, as well...).