Skyhook

Well Known Member
Has anyone installed a connector which would allow simple/easy connection to the battery for boosts and charging? What did you use, how did it go?

That battery on my -4 needs charging from time to time especially during miserable winter months and it is a beast to access. <whine>

Jim

Has anyone installed a connector which would allow simple/easy connection to the battery for boosts and charging? What did you use, how did it go?

That battery on my -4 needs charging from time to time especially during miserable winter months and it is a beast to access. <whine>

Jim

I've seen folks use an Accessory/Cigar lighter socket wired to the battery and secured near the oil door. They then use a male accessory plug on the charger leads. Quick and easy. Good to trickle charge a battery but not for APU.

Trickle charger

You can get a battery-minder from Spruce or others.It is basically a low-powered charger. Its cable has a plug in it so you can leave the end that attaches to your battery permanently attached. When you put the plane away, plug in the wire and leave it on to keep your battery trickle charged. I have one on my 6A and I attach the power thru the oil door.

Also,consider that you might also have another issue that is causing your battery to fail like needing replacement, or alternator/regulator issues, a keep-alive circuit,etc.

Battery tender......

Available almost anywhere, particularly motorcycle shops and websites. I probably have a dozen of them on bikes, cars, etc.

It works great on the RV with the connector haging into the cockpit for easy access. It obviously does not do any good for APU connections. Weighs nothing and no formal "installation" required.

If you have other planes with 24v systems you can use 2 and maintain your batteries easily---I have done that for a while on my CompAir 8. Seems counterintuitive but is described on their website.

Since my battery is inside the cockpit (RV6A), I use the cirgarette type plug under the right side of the panel. This is fused directly to the battery, with the fuse right next to the battery. I then use an adapter connected to the battery charger, as already mentioned.

L.Adamson

If you need a ramp jump consider the standard AN 3pin. It's ubiquitous (big word). Most lineguys can actually find one somewhere. Some can even plug them into the right voltage and not wreck your paint or wiring. Just make sure it's so firmly mounted in the plane that you can be towed with it. I've seen that happen too.

All good ideas above! External power is very useful in these days of programing and checking out Glass Cockpits as well. How you do it depends on the loads you plan to draw through the connection. I built the val with a full-amp external power plug using the Piper single-pole plug/jack. Bob Knuckoll's tells you to do that on his site. Mine is mounted on the belly, and most people don't know it's there. But if you need a jump, it gives full current from an external source right to the Master Solenoid.

Paul

Great responses, all.

Although at present all I may need is that trickle charger, I have had one 'bad battery' away from home experience and getting the 'jump' was a true PITA. Things like that never seem to happen in *good* weather, do they?

Question for PAUL:

What sort of connection(s) did you use to secure that Piper connector to the batt? I could use a detail or three on that as it looks really crowded and close in that region.

Guys, thanks again for all the input.

Jim

Jim,

I wired it up to a contactor, the way Knuckoll's diagrams it, and that way I didn't end up with as many big connectors at the battery. I don't have the drawings handy, but I believe I just went to the battery side of the main contactor (from the external power contactor) - might have been a little crowded, but it worked fine.

Paul