rv7charlie

Well Known Member
Any updated opinions on this free software product? I'm looking for something as a 'bridge' to fly with until I get something more sophisticated for the panel of the -7 I'm building. Here's my context: Garmin wants betwee $75 & $150 (depending on who/when you ask) to replace the battery & update my III Pilot (still works, but is brain-dead after each shutdown). For that money, I can buy a decent used iPaq & load APIC for free, having color with the IIIPilot as backup.

Also, has anyone tried loading the APIC software on one of the HP iPaq 59xx Travel Companion? (Same idea as above, with built-in GPS & car functions)

I realize the software isn't going to compare with a kilobuck aviation GPS, but that's not expected for the price. :)

Thanks,

Charlie

Auto Locate???????

I have no experience with your Garmin model, but the X96's with dead calendar batteries can be brought on line fairly quickly by turning the GPS on; when the page comes up where it is trying to locate satellites, hit the "menu" button; scroll down to the bottom line which on the X96's reads "Auto Locate"; hit "enter" then hit "automatic"; It should "find itself relatively quickly.

No guarantee on your unit, but it works on the X96's. Hope this works for you!!!!!!:D

Thanks for the info; fortunately the III Pilot (or Pilot III) does autolocate on its own at power up, just over a longer time frame. The snag is that any stored waypoints, the user preferred parameters that are displayed, etc all go away when its powered off. I've been living with it for almost 2 years.

My real focus is the idea of an inexpensive color gps to carry me through to 1st flight of the -7.

Thank...