alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
In reading old threads, it appears that choosing oil is one of the never ending debates. Rather than rehash that, please tell me if I've identified the appropriate oils.

My engine is an Aerosport Power O-032-D2A with an ECI case and Superior Millenium cylinders. Aerosport Power's guidelines for break-in read: "Use mineral oil for the first 25 hours of operation. Avoid synthetic blends for the first 100 hours" I plan to be flying for the first 25 hours or so in temperatures that could range from 10-60 degrees F...

My choices as best I can tell are:

1. Aeroshell 65 SAE 30 Mineral Oil (not at Spruce)
2. I can't find an Aeroshell multiviscosity mineral oil. Is there one?
3. Phillips Type M SAE 20W-50 Mineral Oil (readily available at Spruce)
4. Phillips X/C SAE 20W-50 (this is what the ECi breakin in manual recommends, but I only have an ECi case with Superior cylinders. Not sure if that matters.)

Which of these would meet Aerosport Power's requirements and my expected outside temperatures? Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Define "mineral oil". I found out it doesn't seem to mean the same thing to everyone. In it's simplest use, and according to ECI documentation, all it means is that it is a petroleum product rather than containing any synthetics.
However, others commonly seem to use the term to mean that the oil does not contain an ashless dispersant (AD). The odd thing is that there is no evidence that engines do not break in as well with AD oils, and ECI speciifically recommends an AD oil (PHillips XC 20w-50) for break in as well as normal operation. Take your pick- just avoid products with synthetics, whether breaking in or not. Take a look at the EAA webinar Everything You Want to Know About Oil given by Mike Busch for a complete education.

Erich

Last edited:
The type M is what you want for breakin. Mineral oil is necessary to allow a slight amount of abrasiveness between parts to aid in breakin.

Check your

local bulk fuel distributor. I've been able to find several varieties of aviation oil available in both the SF Bay Area and Medford Or. Good prices and saves the shipping costs.

oil

SAE 30 is much to light. SAE50 Aeroshell for temperatures in the 50s or higher should be fine, SAE 40 if it gets down below 40 degrees. Read Mike Buschs excellent article in Sport Aviation a few months ago, I think you can also find the same info on Avweb. Aeroshell SAE40 will say 80 on the container, SAE50 is 100.

oil

Mike Busch article is in Jan 2011 Sport Aviation. If you google Mike Busch aviation oil it will take you to the article and much more.

Aeroshell 65

Should be fine for the break in. It's 30 weight mineral (non AD) oil. (Were it AD oil, it would be labeled W65.)

See http://www.shell.com/home/content/aviation/products/lubricants/piston_engine_oils/oil_65_80_100_120/

Also see the MSDS at http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GSAP_msds_00277489.PDF - from what I can see the oil should do just fine in the temperature range you cited. I'd probably go with 65 versus 80 or 100 because the viscosity is more favorable with better flow (at least I think) to new parts, etc.

After I changed my group B Eci cylinders, despite the Eci recommendation, I used this for break in and it worked very well.

SAE 30 is much to light. SAE50 Aeroshell for temperatures in the 50s or higher should be fine, SAE 40 if it gets down below 40 degrees. Read Mike Buschs excellent article in Sport Aviation a few months ago, I think you can also find the same info on Avweb. Aeroshell SAE40 will say 80 on the container, SAE50 is 100.
In another thread, Mahlon (from Mattituck) gave these ranges:
30-90F, SAE40 or SAE 50
0-70F, SAE 30, SAE40, or SAE20W40
0-90F, SAE20W50 or SAE15W50.

That's why I ruled out SAE 50. Outside temps will probably be anywhere from 10-60 depending on what time of day I'm flying.

Philips XC

My engine is an ECI, IO360. I've used Philips XC since day one and continue to use it today, 630 hours now. It is what ECI recommends. I buy a couple of cases at Oshkosh each year. 25 hour oil change, with 50 hour filter change.

Oil analysis by Blackstone each 25. No trends to date. I operate in the brutal temps of AZ!!!

RV7guy, i like your method. same as mine.

as far as breakin, dump the oil after the first 5 hrs and run it HARD for as long as you can take it $$$$$.