gvgoff99

Well Known Member
I have a GRT EFIS with Garmin 430 and transponder, TruTrak Pictorial Pilot and altitude hold. I really did not want to wire that expensive stuff myself and run the risk of smoking them but I did want to set the panel up myself (cut the holes, wire the lights, pitot heat, etc.). I saw the advertisements for the Approach Systems wiring. I figured "this looks good." I was correct! Approach set up the wiring exactly as advertised and took extensive efforts to communicate with me when they had a question. I recommend them without reservation! http://www.approach-systems.com/ It took about 3 hours to have every radio wired correctly.
Most radios today are like computers that need to be set up to talk to each other. I needed a rocket scientist (Paul Dye) to punch in the correct info. Radios require correct wiring (Approach Systems provided that) and correct input/output set on the radios (Paul Dye). Everyone knows this but doing the wiring and setup were problems too far outside my comfort zone. It is GREAT to see everything working.

I hope this is helpful for others with my concerns about how to wire the radios. :)

Approach Systems Pro-G

I agree 100%. I have the Pro-G for my Garmin stack and everything went very smoothly. The only real issue was there were no unswitched audio outputs from the audio panel so I had to wire these myself. It really helps to know what you need in the way of ancillary functions (I didn't).

The company support is great and I figure I only spent about $500 more than conventional harnesses with much more simplicity.

I was impressed with the detailed nature of the documentation that they gave George along with his hub. Sure, it toook awhile for me to figure out their conventions, but after about an hour of looking at their listings and tables, and comparing them with the avionics manuals, everything I needed was there, and the configuration made senses. I personally enjoyed doing my own harnesses, but for those that don't, this seemed like a pretty easy option.

Paul

I maybe should have

I just finished wiring mine (see Panel thread). In retrospect, it might have been better, cleaner and faster your way. I learned a lot, but the end product might have been better. Oh, well, perhaps next time.
h