maus92

Well Known Member
I'm looking to buy an existing RV-8A, and I'm trying to determine a fair price for two that I am considering. Do certified aircraft appraisers exist that specialize or a familiar with RV aircraft - or are they more useful when purchasing a certified aircraft? Are they worth the money, or is it better spent on a DAR and a thorough pre-buy inspection, or both?

Thanks for any advice!

I'm looking to buy an existing RV-8A, and I'm trying to determine a fair price for two that I am considering. Do certified aircraft appraisers exist that specialize or a familiar with RV aircraft - or are they more useful when purchasing a certified aircraft? Are they worth the money, or is it better spent on a DAR and a thorough pre-buy inspection, or both?

Thanks for any advice!

Recommend a good pre buy for sure! Get ahold of this Guy, PM if necessary. He is definitely an RV expert. Larry
Gary A. Sobek
http://www.rvdar.com
KVVS RV-6 Flying
2,800+ hours

If it's a flying plane, then there's no need for a DAR. A thorough Prebuy is what you want. From the Prebuy report you should be able to compare to other planes out there to determine a fair price, but the inspector could also give you his opinion. Ultimately, the best way to go is determine if it has what you want in it and looks the way you want, or how much it would cost to make it the way you want subtracted from what you are willing to have invested in it. The value is what a willing buyer will pay a willing seller, so an appraisal is only worth so much. A typical appraiser won't understand the value of RV's unless he has dealt a lot with them, which most, I would assume, have not.

In short, I would start with an RV person and go for the Prebuy then determine value from that.