attackpilot

I would like to know what other builders have used to apply ProSeal to the trailing edge of the rudder on the RV-10. I am not sure if other models have a similar design, but if anyone with experience applying it could let me know I would appreciate it.

Joe Hutchison
RV-10 Tail Kit

Popsicle stick. Just apply it to the wedge in a VERY thin layer (skim off all excess). If you put too much in there all it will do is hold the two skins and wedge apart from each other. good luck.

The most effective method I found is to make a "proseal roller". I had a piece of round plastic rod about an inch in diameter... cut off a piece 3/4" long... drilled a center hole for a place to insert the axle for the roller (made axle of stiff wire bent into a handle/axle combination.... then applied a little pro seal to the surface of the roller and rolled the stuff onto the wedge.... you can get it on uniformly thin with this method...

I got the idea from the old print presses that had rollers for the ink... it went on even with great coverage...

cl

I used epoxy and it worked like a charm. Drilled the skins and wedge into a thick piece of AL angle and let it cure over night with clecos. Removed the clecos and riveted away.

img_4721.jpg

img_4720.jpg

Geez, my clecos look all shiny and new in those pictures.

Popsicle stick too. Used the AL angle to hold it straight till everything dried. Worked 4.0...

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your ideas. I modified chickenlips' idea and just bought a 1 inch wallpaper seam roller for $1.50 at the hardware store and used a paper plate to roll up the proseal onto it. Worked great, nice thin coat.

Joe Hutchison
RV-10 Tail Kit

Pucker

I guess that I used either too much pro-seal or too little pressure or both. I, too, clecoed it down to a rigid angle, but rivets apply much more pulling force, so there is an observable thickness waviness in my -7A's trailing edge of the rudder. It's OK, but not as good as I wanted it to be (like the rest of the project). Maybe try thinning the pro-seal with laquer thinner? I wonder if epoxy is as good in that application? Certainly, it's less flexible. Van's had a choice on how to specify this and I don't recall him mentioning epoxy as an alternative.
h
RV-7A 71183 working toward flight this summer.

I have used both T-88 Epoxy and Proseal with great results. The proseal needs to a very thin smear. I think I like the Proseal a little better except for the long setup time.