compren

Does anyone know where I might buy this book, because I am having a heck of a time. I just finished countersinking all the wing spar tank attach platenuts and applied Sherwin Williams 988 primer out of the rattle can (I cut a hole in a piece of 1/4" plywood to shoot primer through onto the countersunk holes). The first side of the spar went fine, but the second side turned out to be a real mess. I got a number of splatters, runs, etc. and the result is a surface which has some high / low primer spots. You know what paint looks like when it runs, well thats what I have. It's obvious that I shot too much of this stuff on the first spar (2nd turned out better), but that 988 really comes out of that can in a hurry.

Should I worry about this or try to correct it? They aren't huge runs, but it's not a very smooth surface anymore. If I should correct it, whats the best method to do so without messing up the anodized surface of the spar? I'm hesitant to use an abrasive material, and am not entirely sure if acetone or something similar would be appropriate or not. I'm inclined to leave it alone, but would appreciate some additional input.

I wish I had seen the tip to apply primer to this area using a Q-Tip before I used the can...oh well.

-John
RV-7A (Working on the Wings)

primer

I wouldn't worry too much over it. if, in your opinion, the efficacy is not compromised (ie, the corrosion protection is adequate), this is an area that will be out of sight/mind after the skins are on. and you'll soon have other things to worry about.

You could wipe the primer off the whole thing with acetone or MEK and do it over....I'm amazed at how easy it is to remove 988 with these chemicals, after a few weeks it's not as easy though.

Rick S.
RV-10