Before a design change, the F-35 was going to use applique instead of paint. If you don't know what applique is, it's window tint, the (usually) exotic graphics on the entire sides of buses and airliners and was the cool hood decoration on 70's era Firebirds. Applique has several advantages over paint such as it's easy to apply/repair using low skill level, can be done/redone progressively in a hangar environment without safety equipment and it eliminates health hazards and toxic waste. Affixed with pressure sensitive adhesive or water-borne adhesive and made even more aggressive with adhesion promoter, 3M can make the substrate bullhide-tough or designed to tatter. Generally not as long-life as paint but easier to install/repair. I don't know the cost, but it would be less than premium paint. It would seem ideal for the homebuilt market. So the question here is: how many would consider using it if it were available?

no way

tinting im sure is more difficult but,tint doesnt stretch. the compund curves would be difficult and done on panels. the removal would be an absolute dog. not to mention airbubbles and stuff that would develop. over time around rivets and such. im sure it could be done well but i wouldnt do it. ive installed several applique's and it is easy. it wont shine like paint. YMMV

Vinyl?

Many folks are doing their designs exactly this way using vinyl - I have seen some beautiful airplanes done this way - if I had any complex graphics in my design, I would definitely have the local sign shop bid on the work - I had my canopy "name" graphics done by them, and it cost less than twenty bucks - having it painted would have cost a lot more.

Paul

I am unfamiliar with the details of this product. I wonder if there would be an issue with corrosion similar to what happens when one leaves the protective film on the skins before riveting for too long...

I have this image of an installer using a razor blade against the aluminum skin in order to trim to fit...

If anybody has some details about how this product is installed without bubbles and around compound curves, I would love to be educated.

Vee Hav R Vays

There are lots of material choices (poly, urethanes, mylars, etc.) that could provide high gloss (low drag and pretty) and flexibility (elongation). Window tint (just an example- geesh) isn't designed to be stretchable because the metalized component that provides its main function - reflectance - would be reduced. Moderate compound curvature is accomplished by a combination of stretchy material and using 3D-to-flat-pattern cutouts (gores). Cutting is done on-aircraft using rotary cutters and/or a cutting board under the gore edge before the backing paper is completely pulled off. The gores can also be cut off-aircraft with whatever - including a Gerber cutter (for intricate designs and such). I've personally covered about a dozen different aircraft from fighters to transports and it is very do-able. The biggest downside is that it isn't really a 100% solution because of the nooks and crannies, so a traditional primer and base coat would be best and then just use the applique for the patterns and alternate colors.
How much would a single-color paint job cost versus the really interesting ones? I see so many beautiful paint jobs with flowing flags and such that probably cost in excess of $8-10K and could be done for much less by supplementing with applique.

Corrosion

Oh, also on the corrosion. With the basecoat paint job version it wouldn't be an issue any more than usual, and with an all-applique approach you'd still want a primer coat and the applique adhesive can contain corrosion inhibitors. Think about the flexibility to change your paint job every so often for a couple hundred!
Removal of the material is done by various means, one of the best being hot/high pressure wash and then for the adhesive residue, mild solvents or a 3M-designed grinder/polisher friction wheel, sort of similar to the resin stick you use to de-clog a grinder wheel.
This technology is commercially out there, developed by the Department of Transportation and the Department of Defense. It's just new and different so it's resisted.

I believe Cirrus is using this process on its aircraft, seems to hold up well.
The trucking industry has used this method for years with good results, the cargo portion of the truck box is constructed of aluminum and rivets very similar to an aircraft. Corrosion does not appear to be a problem even with the heavy amounts of anti-ice chemicals applied to the roads in the winter.

Don
RV-7 Finish Kit

sorry if i was unclear

stripes and large appliques absolutely. the entire plane,no way. this would cost quite a bit. if you go this route let us know what the fee is. or if you install it what the materials are. i dont think you would want high pressure removal+ heat on your .016-.032 thick airplane skins. the removal process with the eraser wheels would take forever. i am no vinyl expert but i have installed and removed many decals.the vinyl on the old T/A's you mentioned will curve quite a bit. vinyl seems to last a very long time. 10 + years and its only 5 year vinyl, but again, the removal, unless there is some comercial tecnique would be fifty times more work than the application. talking whole plane here.the notion that you could/would just change you paint is very misleading. it wouldnt be a week end job or a couple hundred dollar job either.ok who's gonna be the ginuea pig?the plane would be quieter and three times as strong though :D

As a painter, let me say that anything stick-on is a bad idea. It won't last like paint and I need new shoes. :D

Well Van's use vinyl on the RV7 to split the yellow and white with the blue vinyl - they even supply the software file for it !

Cessna use vinyl on their current aeroplanes - just get on with it guys :)

Vinyl Removal

I've done several boats and now my 8 with vinyl graphics. The learning curve isn't that steep as far as application. Just go slow and work out all the bubbles. (Using soapy water on big areas really helps)

As for removal, I've taken off 6 year old vinyl with a hair dryer. Just heat up slightly and keep the heat moving. Carefully peel up one corner and then with just about a 0 degree angle just peel off the old vinyl. If there is any "sticky" left GOO remover and wax will take it off nicely.
It doesn't take too much heat. Just slightly hot to the touch.
For you boaters out there if you have to remove varnish use a heat gun to get it pretty hot and it will just scrape off like vinyl.

mike newall said:
Well Van's use vinyl on the RV7 to split the yellow and white with the blue vinyl - they even supply the software file for it !

Cessna use vinyl on their current aeroplanes - just get on with it guys :)

Cessna has stopped using vinyl in the last couple of years. I just doesn't hold up. In '97 and '98 when Cessna started use decals on their new airplanes they had really bad luck with it. It would show signs of peeling with in the first 100 hours or so. After then 3M changed the glues they were using and the vinyl would hold up better. I've made good money in the past from people that didn't like the semi-gloss look of vinyl and wanted me to peel off the graphic and paint it back on.

shark skin

What would be cool would be a film with micro-riblets like sharks have to reduce drag.

The-Shark-Coating-2.jpg