claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
The project I've just taken possession of came with Grove Airfoil legs. Oddly, one leg has some darkened smudgy looking patches like it was handled by someone with greasy or graphite-y fingers. None of the usual solvents like MEK or Naptha or Toluol made any difference, neither did soap and water. There is no tactile difference between the clear and darkened patches, the surface feels the same.
I asked Grove's advice and they said it was likely some surface corrosion, and to sand it lightly with 150 or 220 grit paper to remove it. I'm happy to do this, but I wanted to ask if anyone has had to do this and if there was any guidance on how to proceed? In the long run, they will be painted when installed, so I'd like to zinc chromate them once I'm sure they're clean, but how can I be sure? Is a visual inspection enough to confirm the corrosion is eliminated? Can corrosion continue unseen beneath a coat of zinc chromate?

They're about the most beautiful pieces of metal I've ever seen, I want them to stay that way.

Yes it's light corrosion. I get some on my bare legs with fingerprints and rain etc. I was able to remove it easily with some flitz polish and scotchbrite back to clean and shiny. I would think you will be fine in covering it up with primer after either scotchbrite or sanding.

Clear corrosion protection?

I will get mine early next year.

I plan on wrapping my 8, including the gear but only after the testing period when I can fly it to Florida. In the meantime, do anyone know of any product, aside from primer, that would protect them.

Something like a clear lacquer maybe ???

I will get mine early next year.

I plan on wrapping my 8, including the gear but only after the testing period when I can fly it to Florida. In the meantime, do anyone know of any product, aside from primer, that would protect them.

Something like a clear lacquer maybe ???

Corrosion-X or ACF-50 protects bare metal pretty good. Removes easily with a solvent before prepping for paint.