steveciha

Well Known Member
Hello to all. I have a MX20 that is about 5 years old. Recently, the LCD display has started to show a series of vertical lines on the display. Was wondering if anyone else had ever experienced this? and if so what eventually became of the problem. The lines don't show up right away but they do after flying awhile.

steve ciha

Sounds like a bad LCD

I had an MX20 on my last plane and never saw that problem. I have seen it on laptop computers though. Unfortunately, it was caused by a bad LCD. Not sure if it was bad glass or the drivers, but that's sort of irrelevant anyway.

I noticed my MX20 ran really hot, which is bad for LCDs and everything else electronic. If it takes while to happen that suggests a thermal problem. You might try adding some cooling it to see if the problem disappears.

It may be too late, but maybe you'll get lucky.

Steve,

I encounter this occasionally as well. In my case, only when it is very cold. I called UPS/Garmin last winter when it was occurring and they explained something along the lines of moisture content in the tube? Anyway, they said they had a fix for it if it got real bad. Like I said earlier, it only happens to me for a couple months in the deep winter, so I haven't bothered looking deeper into a fix.

Thank you for the replies. I called up Garmin / UPS today and they confirmed that they are having moisture problems with relation to the lcd display. They will fix it for $800. ouch! I think i will try bringing the unit into the warm house between flights and see if the moisture will find it's way back out.

steve ciha