airtractor8

Well Known Member
Friend
I have an Apollo round GPS 360 in my RV6 that gave up the ghost yesterday with only 202hrs total time from new :(

On the previous flight the display did not power up until 15 minutes into the flight and today no display at all. I checked the power to the unit and everything was fine. I then removed the unit from the aircraft and hooked a separate power supply up and still no display. There has been no error messages or memory battery warnings and up until now every things been fine. Thinking it may have blown the internal fuse, I removed the covers and saw that the red internal LED was illuminated when the power was on indicating that the board was getting power???

The aircraft has always been hangared and in a dry climate. There was no sign of corrosion or dust or anything else inside the unit.
It appears to be very well built on looking inside and I was expecting thousands of hours of service not 202hrs!!
I have never started up with the avionics master on and "jagged" the avionics with the alternator.
To say I am disappointed is an understatement....

My Questions are these:
Does anyone have experience with this model GPS and have you had any faults with it like this before and does anyone Know if garman still supports this model given that it's a Morrow product line and now discontinued. Are parts still available?

Last edited:
Sent mine back, twice

I had the round 360 in my 6A. It failed before the first flight, nothing on the screen, blank. Sent in in for repairs. Failed again at less than 20 hours, sent it in again. It failed again after another 20 or so hours. Took it out and filled the hole with a blank, beats a placard. Gave it away, as is, where is. No knowlegde if yours would still be supported by Garmin. Good luck.

I have an Apollo round GPS 360 in my RV6 that gave up the ghost yesterday with only 202hrs total time from new :(

--- snip ---

To say I am disappointed is an understatement....

My Questions are these:
Does anyone have experience with this model GPS and have you had any faults with it like this before and does anyone Know if garman still supports this model given that it's a Morrow product line and now discontinued. Are parts still available?

I ran one for first four (4) years of my flying RV-6. It worked GREAT! I really like the unit. I removed to to upgrade to GX60 (Approach certified GPS / COM) and SL30.

I believe that Garmin still has the old II Morrow (UPSAT) facility in Salem Oregon. Contact them to see if they still can fix it.

Wayne McGee now works for Garmin. He goes back to UPSAT and II Morrow so me is someone that works for Garmin that may be able to tell you where it can be repaired.

Used market

These sell used on this forum from time to time. Pretty cheap when you see one.
I think Garmin will charge more to fix than it is worth.
Try posting a 'Wanted to buy'.

Garmin Apollo 360 Navigator

We have had this unit in an RV6 since 1996; and it has worked perfectly.
Just had Garmin in Salem install a new battery and 2011 database update. The internal battery is good for 5-8 years and is only used when not running off aircraft power.
They charge a flat rate for working on these units; $400. A used one will cost between $400-$800 and no guaranties that it will work; so you could end up paying for the cost of a used one Plus the $400 flat rate repair/update service.
This unit works great for our VFR navigation needs.
Garmin's phone number in Salem, OR is 1-800-525-6726 extension 3991 to speak with Gary; who is the "go to guy" for the Garmin Apollo 360.
They still support this unit; and there are a lot of them still in use.

I have the MAP 360 derivative

My unit runs off of the SL-60 for GPS input. Recently after several 100 hours I had a display failure and sent it to the oregon facility (Garmin AT) and they fixed it with no problem installed the new internal battery perhaps more - I'm not sure. It is highly valued by me even though I have a Garmin 695 in the cockpit. The service facility is still there in Oregon and they do a great job.

Bob Axsom

Bob and all;
I just bought the Apollo 360 Map in the classified, as the 360 GPS serial data is incomplete for the Dynon D10a. Dynon just says the 360 GPS won't show any heading but 360 when in HSI, although the rest of it works.
It's my intention to feed both the D-10a and the 360 Map from a single GPS, hopefully a handheld, like a Garmin, GPS III, 295, 496, whatever.
I've searched the 'web' for manuals or any form of data re; the input requirements for the 360 Map.
I hate to pester the tech rep in Salem if I can get the info from this forum, or a clue where to look.