Rayh

I am currently working on the fuselage. From my understanding it is recommended to install the AP servos prior to attaching tail cone to the fuselage. I need to order them but my dilemna is, I am not sure if I am going with the Skyview or Garmin. Do the AP servos interchange?

The mounting of the Dynon and Garmin servos might be the same, but I doubt very much that the software inside of them is the same. Wait until you make up your mind. Do not mix brands.
Joe Gores

I am currently working on the fuselage. From my understanding it is recommended to install the AP servos prior to attaching tail cone to the fuselage. I need to order them but my dilemna is, I am not sure if I am going with the Skyview or Garmin. Do the AP servos interchange?

The installation of the AP roll servo can be made after the tailcone has been attached. To my knowledge VANs did not make the recommendation you mention and I did not have a major issue following VANs instructions and installing the AP servo with tailcone on although the accessibility is not as good as it would be without the tailcone. For the pitch servo which is under the pilot's seat the tailcone is not a factor.

Thanks for the info. I will decide which I will be going with then order the servos. Maybe after Oshkosh I will have a better idea of which system I will order.

Thanks for the info. I will decide which I will be going with then order the servos. Maybe after Oshkosh I will have a better idea of which system I will order.
It may be different now, but a couple of years ago the difficulty in post-build servo installation is not so much the servos themselves, but the servo mounts. If those come with the kit these days, you could consider installing them and moving on. If not, you can buy just the mounts, and while ordering them ask the very knowledgable Vans parts people if they differ between Garmin and Dynon. They're cheap enough that you could just buy both.

Ray ? Another builder attended Sun-N-Fun this year and I requested he ask Garmin about the compatibility of their new touch screen with the Dynon AP servo units and also the RV-12?s servo mounting plates. (I had already purchased the Dynon AP servo kit).

Bottom line, the Dynon and Garmin AP servos are NOT interchangeable. However, the Garmin representative said he felt very confident the Van?s RV-12 AP servo mounting brackets for the Dynon servos should work OK because the mounting hole spacing is the same between the two units. However, he did say the servo bracket might require a small amount of trimming to allow clearance for the AP?s servo arm.

As Dave mentioned in a previous post, the AP servo brackets are much easier to install during the fuselage build prior to attaching the tail cone as opposed later. So if adding an AP is a future possibility for you, suggest ordering and installing just the AP servo brackets while assembling the fuselage ? then order the AP servos after you have made the decision to go with either Dynon or Garmin for the avionics.

Happy building,

For quite a while now (3 years?) the fuselage kit is shipped with the autopilot servo mounting brackets included, so they can be installed during the fuselage build.

This forum and it's great members sure do help a builder during the build and what could have turned out to be a headache later. Thanks.