dick seiders

Well Known Member
I presume the auto pilot configuration is simply a matter of following the steps outlined in the Dynon Manual. If I am wrong on this or if those who have gone before know of any "gotches" in there I would appreciate the feedback in order to have a smooth process.
Thanks
Dick Seiders 120093

Dick,

Once the Ap74 is configured on the network, it just works. You can control how you want the knobs and buttons to work to suite your wants....

Works great!

Gave it a shot like I said I would. Reconfigured the DSAB as instructed, identified the working components and insured they were active. Went to the calibration section and opened the menu. Pressed the disengage button to check servos and nothing happens,and again, and again and again, and nothing happens. This is one of the gotches I was asking about. Any suggestions???
Dick Seiders 120093

Try this!

Try section 8 PAGE 21 in the D180 install Guide, STEP 5 ? DISENGAGE/CWS BUTTON CONFIGURATION. If this doent work then Check the wiring on that button going into the plug on the back of the D180.

John
RV12 N1212K

Autopilot button config

Dick,
I assume that Jetguy is referring to step 5B on page 8-21 of the Dynon D-180 install manual. That is a good idea. Access the Autopilot Button Config menu by pressing one of the 3 buttons below the EFIS screen, more, Setup, more, AP. By setting the RESISTOR INST parameter to Y and if there is an open connection between the servo and the control board., the Dynon will display the message, "AUTOPILOT DISCONNECT LINE BROKEN". Since the 5KΩ resistor is located on the control board and not at the switch, the wires between the control board and the AP Disconnect switch are NOT monitored for open circuit.
If you get the message "AUTOPILOT DISCONNECT LINE BROKEN" after setting the RESISTOR INST parameter to Y, then check the yellow to white wire splice at the AP servos and also the other end of that white wire at pin 9 of the Optional D-Sub.
If you do not get that "line broken" message, then I would suspect the AP Disconnect switch or its wires.
By the way, does the AP Disconnect Button light up when the Dynon is turned on and the Nav/Strobe switch is also on? Not that that would effect the Autopilot, but that shows that part of the AP Button is wired correctly.
Joe

Thanks for the help John, and Joe. I solved the problem today, and am embarassed to say that I blew this one. It had been the best part of a year since I installed the disengage switch and I just plain didn't remember it's function. (after all it is kind of hiding down there between the throttle and choke). I was trying to do the servo calibration and test using the AP74 button. I failed to remember the switch until I turned on the nav/strobe as suggested by Joe. The disengage button illuminated and I realized it's no wonder it's not responding dummy you are using the wrong button. I completed the servo cal. and test and the AP is ready to go. Sorry for being such a doofus.
Dick Seiders 120093

To error is human

Dick,
Thanks for letting us know that you solved the problem. I assume that now your Dynon and all of its functions are working correctly. Looking back, would you say that the problems seemed overwhelming at first, but now that you know what caused them, the solutions were simple? The hard part was trying to figure it out.
Now you can tell everyone that Van's circuit board and the Dynon D-180 are great units. Or wouldn't you go that far? :D
By the way, you can also turn on the autopilot by holding that disconnect button in for a few seconds.
Joe

Last edited:
Autopilot settings

Dick dont beat yourself up, this is state of the art technology if you are used to Steam gages. Now you know why Vans isnt rushing to put in Dynons new Skyview. Although it looks really cool in reality there are sitll many bugs to be worked out. Also remember this autopilot is not perfect, meaning plus or minus 10 degress in heading hold and plus or minus 50 to 100 feet in rough air is acceptable. It does track the GPS really well. Fine tuning the Sensitivity will help out some. Moving just one digit is the way to go when you get close. Do this fine tuning in smooth air. See page 8-18, the paragraph with the ! mark next to it about the setting for the Roll servo:
Firmware version 5.3 introduces an alternate set of control algorithms which may improve roll performance in some aircraft. To try this mode simply set TRN RT LMT to 0. The autopilot will more directly control bank angle instead of targeting a specific turn rate. The maximum bank angle that the autopilot allows continues is still limited by the BANK LIMIT parameter. In this mode, set the BANK ANGLE LIMIT to the maximum value you want the autopilot to use in a turn (see below).
To much sensitivity on the roll servo and the stick will roll back an forth in the turn, Not enough sensitivity and then it wont hold heading worth a darn so try to reach a compromise knowing that its not perfect. Same thing on Pitch servo, to much sen. the stick vibrates back and forth, not enough and you get porpoise(vertical sign wave). Good luck and where to you live man.:eek:

John
RV12 N1212K

No Joe, I wouldn't say the solutions were simple. I struggled for 10 weeks until Dynon decided that the 180 they sent me to replace my first unit was defective. It was fine till upgrading to 5.4 one week after installing it then it went screwy. Then the struggle began. An additional 6 weeks was spent getting nowhere. We re loaded the 5.4 again and the 180 crashed. Then Dynon agreed it was not my airplane after all. Once I received the 2nd unit (which was my original 180) things were fairly simple and any issues were quickly resolved. At this stage I am pleased that the hurdles are overcome, but I am not prepared to say that the problems are gone as I know others will experience the same things unless Van's and the Dynon Support people start doing a lot more problem solving in a joint effort. Both need to understand that they are interdependant when it comes to dealing with customer service issues.
The RV12? A terrific airplane!
Dick Seiders

Happy for you

Dick,
OK, it was not easy for you. But that is behind you now. I am happy that you have most of the problems solved and you are enjoying the plane.
Joe

Joe, your right I am in a better place now on the 180, but mean't all the things I said. I am really trying to do what I can to smooth the road for the next 340 guys that are on the build trail by airing all these events out. An interested party at Dynon and I spoke today in an effort to contribute to smoothing the bumps. I am confident things are improving.
Thanks for the many suggestions you made to help me thru the learning/problem solving process.
Dick Seiders