Juicegoose

Well Known Member
Guys i've never utilized my aopa membership discounts. I'm currently in Chicago for a couple months for work and am having the girlfriend come up for a bit. I would like to know some opinions or experiences you guys have had utilizing the rental car discounts we get from being AOPA members. thanks guys.

I have used the AOPA rental before. It was a while ago and don't really remember what the rate was. It was really easy, when I made the reservation I just told the lady I was an AOPA member and I believe gave her my number and that was that. Pretty simple and seamless.

Use it!

It's one of the perks... and helps recoup the cost you paid for your AOPA membership. I've used it many times (usually on-line) and almost always it was my best rate.

DJ

The last couple of times I rented a car, I was able to get a better rate with my auto club (AAA) membership than I was with either AOPA or EAA.

When you made the reservations online did they ask for your card or anything when you showed up to pick up the car. Again the girlfriend will be picking up the vehicle and using it so i just would hate for her to get there and they ask for the credit card used or whatever.

Car rental

The best rate I found is AARP beats them all.
Walt RV-6A CS
IO-320 finishing up

Credit card

When you made the reservations online did they ask for your card or anything when you showed up to pick up the car. Again the girlfriend will be picking up the vehicle and using it so i just would hate for her to get there and they ask for the credit card used or whatever.

In my experience, unless you have an Avis "Wizard number" or "Preferred Card" or a "#1 Club" at Hertz, whoever picks up the car will need to produce a credit card and drivers license. The "club" memberships just puts the information on file so that you can do the straight to the car thing.

The CDP numbers that the AOPA and many other organizations hand out help, but aren't a big savings. A AAA card usually does a little better.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

I was very disappointed last time....

I can't remember the company, Hertz I think, but the last time I tried to rent (about two years ago in LA) I got the following deal:

With AOPA if would be 20% off the 450.00 price or I could get the current Hertz deal at $325.00. Anyone could get the deal, but you could not get the deal and use a discount with it.

Really made me mad, but I was any a hurry or a would have gone to a different rental company.

Kent