Jesse

Well Known Member
Just finished watching this video and they reported on some breakthrough technology in the avionics market. A small portable EFIS at is all self-contained and only costs $3,600. King has an angle of attack indicator that talks to you. Aspen has a $5,000 VFR EFIS. Wow, things are really moving forward. The portable EFIS looks surprisingly like a Dynon D1/2. The AOA would say "Angle, angle, push", but that was taken so they say "Caution, too slow" or "Check AOA". The Aspen can unlock the IFR features through software for only $4,700 more.

The difference, certification! Aren't we glad we fly experimentals?! These were breakthroughs 5-10 years ago in our world.

For the most part I 100% agree, however, the experimental equipment vendors use us as their beta testers and often equipment does quite work as expected/advertised until it gets "debugged".

Don't get me wrong, I love experimental avionics but it's not without some shortcomings. The certified equipment goes through a rigorous test, quality and qualification process that the experimental stuff does not.