Ron Lee

Well Known Member
Details may be here

http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/avflash/2172-full.html#206463

I just read the four page overview. I am still not certain how to submit a comment that meets these criteria

"Comments should be should be substantive, significant, specific, or supported"

Below it they suggest what to say but other than the online program, I am still unclear how to write a compelling argument. Perhaps after I read the 41 page document I will know what to say

Last edited:
Great news!!

Wow that's great news!! Now that will increase the value of our RV's and lot of other American made aircraft.

Squeak

@Squeak: yes, if it passes FAA scrutiny. I submitted comments a few days ago. Just a sentence or two in support, some bullet items, and a close. No vitriol or whining...short and sweet.

@Squeak: yes, if it passes FAA scrutiny. I submitted comments a few days ago. Just a sentence or two in support, some bullet items, and a close. No vitriol or whining...short and sweet.

I did the same and hope that we inundate them with support comments for this. I still look at this as a long shot. Maybe something like Australia is doing where you can get any doctor to give you a letter saying you are fit to exercise privileges of a drivers license would be more appealing to the FAA.

wonder how much of the medical certification budget is tied up with 3rd class? Not that all would go but the money savings could be substantial. interesting that the proposal doesn't include a weight or speed qualifier, only HP. why would anyone want to seek a sport pilot license?

I just started reading the detailed AOPA/EAA submittal and soon found this operational restriction:

"Below 10,000 feet MSL (or 2,000 feet AGL, whichever is higher)"

Bad bad bad.

10,000 ft restriction

Or 2'000 ft agl! Thats not even possible over some terrain in this neck of the woods without rocket motors. At one point you can be 1,000 ft above a ridgeline an two miles farther you may be 7,000 AGL at 14,000 MSL. Of course there isn't much radarcoverage either. What no one sees didn't happen. Silly rule,

CO flying

Carl,
Flying in Colorado is why I decided on the 9 over the 12. I know others have had no problems with the 12 at the altitudes here, but I wanted a bit more ceiling that the 9 gives. I have to jump through some pretty tight hoops to pass the medical, so I looked at the 12 pretty seriously. If the proposed changes are approved by the FAA, it will make things MUCH easier for me and many other current and former pilots.

Just to get over the hill to the Denver area, you need to be about 14,000 minimum.

If you are ever over this way, let me know - lunch is on me!

The whole 10k MSL issue for a drivers license medical makes NO sense to me. Glider pilots fly above 10k MSL and use oxygen without a medical all the time. In the Sport Pilot proposal, the FAA said it was about training, that SPs would not have training about hypoxia, etc. This clearly doesn't wash with we are talking about PP or better. My comments will include this issue.

TODR

Thats very kind of you Rockwood. I too have a bunch of medical hoops to jump thru (and expense). In my comments to the FAA I stated that I thought the elimination of the medical could make me safer. Flying the Cardinal and / or the RV7 would be MUCH safer than flying an LSA at this elevation. There are several examiners here who wont give a checkout in C152s, Cherokee 140s, or anything with less than 150 hp. And thats just in the Denver metro area.

Last edited: