Not so fast...

I sent AOPA an email detailing my feelings. A copy of the email is below.

I'd like to make an observation regarding your new member survey about potential future prize aircraft. One of the choices is a newly built kit plane, such as an RV-10. While this may be an appealing option on the surface, a look at the rules governing experimental amateur-built aircraft reveals a huge problem. A kit aircraft like the RV-10 must be built by a person for that builders own "education and recreation" to be eligible to be licensed as an experimental amateur-built. Building kit planes for resale is against both the letter and spirit of the law. While there are certainly shops out there that build kits for hire contrary to the law, they operate mostly under the radar. To have such a blatantly illegal process detailed monthly in AOPA magazine is just inviting trouble, not only for AOPA but for the homebuilt movement in general.

I would suggest that you not consider this as an option.

Thanks
Jeff Point
AOPA 1103005
RV builder and pilot
EAA Technical Counselor

Excellent point Jeff. How about a complete 10 kit with engine and avionics? I could go for that. ;)

Well...

The aircraft is given more or less as a gift "no purchace nessasary" So I don't see how aopa can be sighted for giving away an experimental aircraft, when there's no actual funds transaction taking place. Just a thought.

As an alternative they might give away an entire RV-10 *kit*. In boxes that is...

joeboisselle said:
So I don't see how aopa can be sighted for giving away an experimental aircraft, when there's no actual funds transaction taking place.
If AOPA followed their usual game plan, they would devote many articles over the year to the construction of the plane. Although they are giving the plane away, the are obviously paying someone to do the building for them. And therein lies the problem.

As others have suggested, a giveaway of a kit would be a great idea. Couple it with a week at one of the "learn to build" centers where you build your own tail, a tool kit, a custom panel from (insert favorite panel shop here) and and engine, and now your talking.

I think they should do it anyways, Jeff.

It is in the spirit of education like the law suggests!

Besides, it really isn't a money making scheme. I think the intent of the law is to prevent someone from making a business out of it.

;) CJ