Iluke

Well Known Member
I'm sure this is a dumb question, but here goes.

Do I need to have an AOA source (such as the Dynon pitot tube and mast) in order to use a basic glass panel EFIS system?

It's going to be an VFR airplane (I'm a VFR pilot), and I don't plan to install auto-pilot servos or anything fancy like one of the stand-alone AOA display heads, but I would like to have the option of installing at least a basic EFIS display once I get to that point (It will be a while).

I see on the Dynon site that their ADAHRS units have inputs for pitot, static, and AOA plumbing. My question is whether the AOA "signal" is necessary for the basic EFIS functions or just a nice to have.

My wings are still open and currently plumbed for just the standard Van's pitot, but if a two-line pitot is necessary to make an EFIS, now is obviously the time to do it. If not, the $250 can be better spent elsewhere.

Also, if so, is there a better choice for a pitiot tube/mast than the Dynon version? It looks good online.

thanks
Ivan

The AOA input can be left open. It is not necessary for the other EFIS functions.
I flew with my Dynon for many years without the AOA.

While not required, do yourself a favor and put in the AOA option....

If you are going to buy a pitot, the non heated Dynon AOA pitot is very cost effective.

If you are going to make your own pitot using the "Van's" method, there are threads on here about how to make one that will work for AOA on the cheap!

Last edited:
AOA

Quite a few purchase the Gretz mount and the Dynon AOA/pitot.
I also added the platenuts to the rib so the heater could be added later.
If the wing is open, plumb it for both.

As others have said, you don't NEED AoA to install a facny glass panel, but you might find that once you do fly with it, you'll wonder where it has been all your flying life. Juts in case, you might want to run teh tubing for the AoA sense line while your wings are open - little weight, very little cost - and it can just be tied out of the way for now.

As others have said, you don't NEED AoA to install a facny glass panel, but you might find that once you do fly with it, you'll wonder where it has been all your flying life. Juts in case, you might want to run teh tubing for the AoA sense line while your wings are open - little weight, very little cost - and it can just be tied out of the way for now.

Good Idea, I think I will do just that! Are you talking about the little 1/8" vinyl hose?

Thanks, Paul.

I started off making my AOA probe from a tire valve, just cut off the rubber and silver soldered on a washer to fit inside the wing. Would probably have worked with a thin nut on the outside.

I later decided to have a friend machine a longer one in aluminum (lower pictures) to get outside the boundary layer.

Works great...