jester

I'm New Here
I have purchased an rv6a and would like to install an aoa or stall warning device. What is the simplest way to do it .What product to use . My first post so I hope I am in the right place.Thanks for any help.

An AOA properly calibrated will give you a much better safety margin as you will be able to see the AOA increasing whereas a stall warner gives you less information.

Yes, an AOA is going to be a little more expensive, but when you operate into a short strip using AOA, your confidence will be a lot higher.

An AOA properly calibrated will give you a much better safety margin as you will be able to see the AOA increasing whereas a stall warner gives you less information.

Yes, an AOA is going to be a little more expensive, but when you operate into a short strip using AOA, your confidence will be a lot higher.

This hits the nail on the head. Regardless of difficulty, you owe it to yourself to have AOA installed. I believe once one has it, one would not want to be without. The feedback you get (well before critical angle) is invaluable. It's great to see just what the AOA situation looks like on the classic base to final turns. Maneuvers that you once thought were well within the "neutral" zone may surprise you. If anything it makes you more cognizant of being low and slow.

Being a former Naval Aviator, I'm a big believer in AoA. In fact, I have three different systems in my RV-10. The one I like the best - and the cheapest - is the Lift Reserve Indicator. It is purely analog, except for the light inside the mechanical gauge, for (ugh!) night flying.
I mounted mine where it should be - on top of the glare shield.
There are lots of brands of LRIs out there, and they are pretty much the same. I'd look for the cheapest one....

John

Being a former Naval Aviator, I'm a big believer in AoA. In fact, I have three different systems in my RV-10. The one I like the best - and the cheapest - is the Lift Reserve Indicator. It is purely analog, except for the light inside the mechanical gauge, for (ugh!) night flying.
I mounted mine where it should be - on top of the glare shield.
There are lots of brands of LRIs out there, and they are pretty much the same. I'd look for the cheapest one....

John

I concur. I've been flying an LRI in the RV-6 for a long time and it is simple, inexpensive, reliable, and my primary instrument for managing the pattern and landings.

http://thervjournal.com/liftreserve.htm

LRI-1.jpg

As a bonus the LRI probe can also drive the AOA indicator in the Dynon to provide an audible alarm.

Welcome!

Does your new plane have a Dynon EFIS installed, by chance? Do you want one?

Dynon makes a very good AoA but you have to have one of their EFIS's and Pitot tubes.

Installing their pitot and the AoA line isn't that difficult.

Welcome!

Does your new plane have a Dynon EFIS installed, by chance? Do you want one?

Dynon makes a very good AoA but you have to have one of their EFIS's and Pitot tubes.

Installing their pitot and the AoA line isn't that difficult.

This is what I was going to post.

Dynon pitot/AOA combo and a D10 will give you what you're looking for plus a battery backed up EFIS.

If you want to drop a little more coin, I have a 10" skyview with the same pitot/AOA. Works great, plus all the features of the SV system.

Garmin has jumped into the water with a pitot/AOA system on G3X too.

Others have mentioned the AFS, LRI and Bendix systems. Lots of choices out there.

Beware, so many cool toys out there your wallet will get really light really fast!!! :)

This is what I was going to post.

Beware, so many cool toys out there your wallet will get really light really fast!!! :)

There must be some sort of relationship between weight of airplane and weight of wallet. As airplane weight increases, wallet weight decreases--roughly in a ratio of about 1 to 100. 1 pound of aircraft = 100 dollars, thus 1200 lbs empty weight of airplane should lighten your wallet by approx. $120,000. This is just a casual observation on my part--YMMV.

I have an MGL efis and I fly 720. I appreciate all the responses .I am looking up each system mentioned . I have to have one now that I have seen them on u-tube.

I flew for many hours with the Vans stall warning vane then removed it and replaced it with the Dynon AoA as part of an IFR upgrade.
My home airstrip is short and sometimes marginal so slow, precise approaches are required.
I suppose that the AoA may give slightly earlier warning of an impending stall but IMHO the AoA gives me no extra benefit during the approach over the (correctly calibrated) simple vane stall warning.

Fin
9A

You do not "have" to have the combo Dynon pitot to get AOA on the Dynon. The RV12 world found a $10 substitute that works great. Read this thread, particularly starting page 2. I used the inflation needle, others found a rivet worked as well.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=34040

Picture inslalled here: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=680013&postcount=183

The great thing about the Dynon is the AUDIBLE AOA indication in your headset. Increasing frequency at higher angles. You can ride the right beeping frequency all the way to the runway threshold. You don't want to be looking down at the Dynon screen when going into a 1260 foot strip... If you get a different AOA, be sure it has audible.

Last edited:
I will caveat my original comment with the fact that the AOA is only as good as the calibration, and that is very important.

The Dynon uses a series of increasingly interesting manoeuvres culminating with full power stalls.

Now, with my mature Brother squealing like a girl as I am eaking the last drop out of the poor, complaining airplane, we finished the calibration.....:rolleyes:

Full power stalls in an RV are quite interesting.

I digress - what you end up with is a superb tool to help you in all areas of flight, not just approach.

This year, biennial flight revues in the UK are featuring crosswind stalls in the pattern - distraction during the climb out can be as dangerous as the base turn/final situation.

It is interesting to watch the AOA as you are doing aeros - it gives you a real impression as to what is happening - particularly on the back side of looping figures - sadly the statistics show too many accidents where guys pull too hard on the back side of a loop and flick out.

I will try and set up my GoPro soon and see if we can get some footage.

How so? Crazy wing drop?

I have a friend who flies a Starduster bipe who pulled too hard out of a loop, and regained consciousness after losing about 3000 ft of altitude. Lucky guy!

Power to weight ratio, you're cocked up uncomfortably high and slow when it breaks (depending on horsepower/weight).

Doug,

No - we have an MT 3 blade prop which works well at low speed.

We ended up at a very high nose up, still flying and fully controllable - it was insane.

I guess when it stalled, we must have been 30? nose up.

No wing drop, just a rather large nose drop as I took the power off.

You do have one

I have an MGL efis and I fly 720. I appreciate all the responses .I am looking up each system mentioned . I have to have one now that I have seen them on u-tube.

Depending on the viewable field of your pitch ladder of your EFIS you in essence may already have an AOA indicator. The waterline symbol represents your longitudinal axis of your ship (where the nose is pointing). The velocity vector represents your actual flight path. The difference between the two is your effective angle of attack. Any time your AOA is over 14 degrees and approaching 15-17 degrees you are nearing your limit. This is only GPS flight path derived info not actual airflow based but if your EFIS can display 15 degrees of pitch below the waterline, it would make for an interesting experiment at a safe altitude to try some simulated stable approaches compared to an LRI or the various AOA displays.

If you trim pitch neutral for cruise, then do not trim for slow flight the pressure on your fingers holding the stick will be in a more feel able/tactile relationship to your AOA increasing at landing speeds. The burble and buffet as the wing approaches stall is easier to feel.

No doubt I will get roasted on both points.

Last edited: