brian

Well Known Member
On my older RV-6A (not pre-punched), the inspection panel on the underside of the wing is centered on a rib. Is that where all RVs have the inspection panel?

The reason I'm wondering is because I bought the Alpha Systems Angle of Attack system at SNF, but the installation is beginning to look like more work than I had understood it would be. The probe isn't going to install in place of the inspection cover because the rib is in the way.

I'd have to disassemble the probe mount that came with the unit, and reinstall it offset on a new plate in order for it to work. It also looks like might be tricky to run the 2 plastic air lines through the wing and into the cockpit.

Have other RVers installed this Alpha Systems brand AOA in a flying RV? Any suggestions/hints/tricks/experiences, etc?

Assuming I decide I can run the 2 lines OK, I could always return the Alpha Systems brand and get the Advanced Flight Systems brand, as that one does not involve a probe installation - just 2 small holes drilled in the wing skin, so that would eliminate the probe installation issue.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

thanks,
brian

Last edited:
Alpha Systems

Brian,
Congrats on purchasing the Alpha AOA, I really like their products and Mark does a good job of explaining/selling the benefits at the Shows.
I have installed a Dynon AOA pitot probe in a RV-6 (hangar mates) to his D10A. I removed the Vans tube type Pitot tube and reached in from the inspection cover hole and installed the new larger pitot assembly, it really wasn't that hard to do. FYI..the inspection plate was between the ribs, so not sure how much hand access you have to work. No matter what AOA system you install, you will have to deal with the tubes. We removed the fuel tank in my buddy's -6 and ran the tubes along the face of the spar. It really wasn't harder than most other upgrades. It is my opinion that Mark makes the pre assembled mast/plates to make the install look easier and in some cases it will, but his original kit had the installer installing the mast himself with factory brackets, so not using his plate shouldn't be that big of a deal. The hard part was deciding which display to use, as he has several types to choose from, I like the electric one with LEDS...."blue". Good Luck.

Dynon AOA installation in RV6

:) If your system is similar to the Dynon installation, I suggest you run the tubes behind the fuel tank. I installed my heated pitot/aoa to the rib you mentioned under the inspection plate with no problems. I can email you photos if you like?
[email protected]
I have put some early ones on my web-site: http://www.ahs6.com/n66au/

Last edited: