cawmd82

Well Known Member
Anyone using one of these? How is the sunlight readability?

Seems like an interesting idea on paper at least to "shrink the bag" as another thread was called.....

How is the buttonology? Intuitive? Useable in a canopy plane with lots of light? Manageable in some turbulence?

I like the idea of carrying it home or into a hotel and having internet updates of weather, flight planning, email, etc......

But then there have been lots of ideas that went nowhere!!!

Chuck do a search on the Flight Cheetah 190 which uses a Samsung Q1 ultra. There was a thread here a while back. I'm experimenting with a Q1 running a free moving map software called APIC. I am looking for a chart subscription and their chart annual subscription price is $99. All Approach Plates are geo-referenced and project your real-time GPS location on the horizontal and vertical let down sections of each Approach Plate. The Q1 screen is a bit on the dim side, but still usable in bright sunlight. If you have to do any typing you'll need the software program to be tablet PC friendly. The external spilt key pad on the Q1 is awkward at best and if there is any turbulence you can forget about it. IMO the Q1 serves a better purpose in providing situational awareness rather than using it for GPS navigation. The capability of having WIFI in the hotel or elsewhere and aircraft and auto GPS all in one unit is appealing. I purchased my Q1 used off Ebay for $430. The APIC moving map software is free. An upgraded version which brings in an HSI and NMEA code as well as a one year chart subscription is $189. They recommend using the Q1 for their software. Here is a link.

http://www.approach-systems.com/index.asp

Anyone using one of these? How is the sunlight readability?

[snip]

How is the buttonology? Intuitive? Useable in a canopy plane with lots of light? Manageable in some turbulence?

[snip]

But then there have been lots of ideas that went nowhere!!!

I have been using AnyWhere Map for VFR flight for many years (past 5 or so on an IPAQ HX4700) and have found it to be a great, compact, economical resource. I only subscribe to the flight database product, but it is good for planning, flying and keeping me out of the many TFRs around the Washington, DC area. I am not familiar with the device you propose to use so I can not comment on that.

I am also able to use my AnyWhere Map device with MS Flight Simulator X and it is great practice for becoming familiar with new functions that AnyWhere Map implements from time-to-time. If you are new to the software there is a bunch of stuff to learn.

The software really turns your PDA into a fully functional pre-flight, enroute and post flight (times, logging, etc.) flight device. And AnyWhere Map has been around for at least a decade - they are not new to the game.

Hope this helps - I'm now going to look at that Sumsung device you mentioned.

Samsung with Flight Cheetah

We have the Flight Cheetah 190 running on the Samsung in our Lance -- unless sun is directly on the screen, works very well. We love the Flight Cheetah software, with XM weather. Database updates are so much less expensive than Garmin and some of the others.

Hehe - if the sunlight is directly on your screen, do you really need approach plates?

Just kidding of course - it can be fierce sunlight on top.

Yeah

But its only bad until you figured out where to poke a hole in the overcast..:)

Frank