FORANE

Well Known Member
Anywhere Map has announced support for multiple platforms.

Announcement from AWM president Jay Humbard:

Anywhere Map goes MULTI PLATFORM

Postby jhumbard ? Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:47 am
I'm sure everyone has been wondering WHAT we have been up to for some time.

It has appeared that there was a dearth of new stuff coming out of "the worx", and that has not been because we had shut down the R&D department.

For some time we have been trying to find the best angle to take on how to best enter the tablet market. I must admit that I'm NOT an Apple person at all, in fact I have harbored a rather bad attitude about Apple after an ugly early career incident that involved my developing software for the LISA computer, which apple promptly dropped... that still makes me mad to this day!

We had a huge investment in the Windows environment, and after a few false starts at rewriting our code for the iPad we decided that this was going to be a huge project... and what about Android and how to support our existing customers on all their Windows based devices?

About a year ago, the perfect solution became clear. We found a true multi-platform development tool that allows us to write applications for a generic tablet, and then deploy that code to any one of several different specific devices, such as Android, IOS, Windows, Symbian, and the list goes on. Naturally I was rather suspicious, and I reasonably assumed that this would result in slow pigware, not the user experience that we wanted to push. After we wrote a test app, those fears were proven wrong. The beauty of this approach to supporting the iPad and Android markets is that we will actually wind up ENHANCING our Windows users experience at the same time!

We COMPLETELY REWROTE Anywhere Map in this new environment, and the result is incredible. The old Anywhere Map was written in the days before graphics co-processors -- the new software takes FULL ADVANTAGE of co-processors and multi-core CPU's. The old Anywhere Map made about one update per second, the new code has to be throttled on an iPad 3 to stay below 40 updates per second (where strange updating artifacts begin to occur). The app is at least 10 times faster than any previous version of Anywhere Map on windows devices as well.

One thing that I had always noted about "apps" is that they always seem to be a subset of the "real thing". While time constraints and the impending deadline of Sun-N-Fun has forced me to release Version 1.0 of the new Anywhere Map as a bit of an "app", I can assure you that we are by NO MEANS even touching the limits of this new generation of tablet hardware. In another few months the "app" will exceed the current capacities of ANY previous version of Anywhere Map, and by a wide margin. The app will be the pathway for existing Windows customers to upgrade to ADSB, synthetic vision, and a lot more.

I am very excited about the new app and the benefits it promises to all of our valued customers. Version 1.0 is a basic product, but features our signature features, track up display (rare in the tablet world), cones of safety, vnav, virtual ILS, link weather and more. We picked up a few neat new ideas from some of the existing apps out there, such as downloading and buffering the weather map graphics off of the ADDS web site by NOAA, so that they can be reviewed as you fly along.

We will next focus on adding in approach plates, which will be fully integrated into the main moving map application. I expect to have this upgrade done in late April. In June (approximately) we will begin to support XMWX and ADSB. We will release the app on Windows devices just as soon as we get it closer in feature content to the existing PRO series.

All of your existing subscriptions will transfer to the new platforms, should you decide to make the jump. I'm inviting all of our existing customers to visit their favorite app store and download the new blazing fast Anywhere Map 1.0 and give it a try!

Thank you...
Jay Humbard
President
Control Vision Corp.

Nice to see...what about Canadian content????

I was hoping AWM would not just 'go away' so this is a good sign!
...always liked the interface & presentation.

My reason for not buying one was mostly that the MaxNax charts ( digital sectionals) are not available for Canada.
They say their terrain data goes to 60 degrees latitude........
...any Canadian users out there who can comment on how they use theirs, and the limitations? etc.

For $85 I'd sure like to try it for a year on my Dell Streak tablet, or Ipad etc.

I was hoping AWM would not just 'go away' so this is a good sign!
...always liked the interface & presentation.

My reason for not buying one was mostly that the MaxNax charts ( digital sectionals) are not available for Canada.
They say their terrain data goes to 60 degrees latitude........
...any Canadian users out there who can comment on how they use theirs, and the limitations? etc.

For $85 I'd sure like to try it for a year on my Dell Streak tablet, or Ipad etc.

I am just an AWM long time user, but would suggest you go to their site and search their discussion board for questions specific to their product. Looking at mine, I do not find any data for Canada other than airport locations with frequencies. I cannot find any approaches at Canadian airports, no roads, no lakes, no terrain (it is possible I am not selecting the correct items to display as this is a HIGHLY customizable product where the user may turn on or off just about everything). As such, I would likely not purchase it if most of my flying were in Canada. In USA however, I hate flying without it - even with 4 other GPS units in the plane.

I have heard the initial release called AWM freedom for the ipad and android is limited in function - (does not have approaches yet I think) and soon a more mature release is coming to expand functionality and fix numerous bugs. I have also heard the app cost is slated to increase with the new release.

Last edited: