alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
I can't find anything in ACS about strobe cables and don't even see them listed except as part of one kit. Are they generally teflon coated like the rest of our wire? I'd been planning to use an off-the-shelf strobe system like this Whelen version below, but don't know if the cables will be appropriate for aircraft use.

http://strobeguy.safeshopper.com/70/2043.htm?248

Any thoughts? Thanks.

The cables would be fine. My nav light kit came with two cables with only one end in a connector. I cut the cable to length, added the other connector, and was done. I'm not sure I'd like the kit you linked; you'd still have to have nav lights and house those strobes some way. But even if the cable had connectors at both ends, ACS sells the connectors so you could shorten the cable as necessary.

ACS sold me just the installation kit even though it's not separate in their catalog; the Whelen part is HD-60 for the 2 light kit and HDT3-90 for the three light version. I'm assuming you will be using the remote power supply, because the individual supplies just use normal wire back to the panel and you don't need to worry about the special cable.

Thanks for the part numbers.

Actually the strobe heads I linked would just be used in the wings, where they should require no special housing. They fit in a 1" hole drilled into the fiberglass. I will need to get a tail strobe/pos light unit from Van's (which should run off the same power supply as the wing strobes) and would need to get a Nav light system. Since I'm planning on separate LED nav light system anyway (probably Jeff's), I have no need for an all-in-one nav/strobe combination system. The only ones I've seen (Whelen) are really expensive. Still looking for alternatives though if anyone knows of them.

Steve,

I've done a bit of research on this lately. My only comment would be to make sure that whatever strobe power supply you buy flashes at a rate that meets the aviation standard. I seem to recall reading somewhere, maybe here on VAF, that anti-collision lights should flash between 40 and 100 flashes per minute (don't quote me on those numbers). The problem is that many of the non-aviation (emergency vehicle) strobe power supplies flash at higher rates (~140 per min). I am talking about the flash rate, not the flash pattern. It is my understanding that many units have adjustable patterns, but not rates. I am not sure if the Whelen unit you linked to is one of their aviation units or their emergency vehicle models.

FWIW, I ended up buying a XPAK-604HR power supply for this exact reason. The "HR" stands for half rate, where the flash rate has been slowed to meet our flying needs. I bought it from a private party, and ACS sells it as part of a strobe/nav kit, but I think the only place to get it by itself is GS-Air. I haven't tested mine yet, so take my comments any way you like.

Good luck!

Last edited:
In my experience, strobe cables are NOT tefzel or teflon covered. I searched around a bit and was never able to find such a beast and eventually settled for the standard 3 or 4 conductor bundle covered in whatever. Creativ Air sells what you need as well.

erich