ao.frog

Well Known Member
Hi all.

I'm about to start installing the Vetterman exhaustsystem on my Lyc IO-360 M1B with horizontal induction.

In Norway, the weather is cold during winter and the noise restrictions are strict, so more heat and less noise would be nice.

As far as I know, mufflers can't be installed on a horizontal induction engine but I'm wondering if any of you have a sollution after all?
For example you guys in Germany who have even more noise-restrictions that us in Norway?
Or maybe you Canadian guys who have at least as cold weather as in Norway?

Or if Larry are reading this; maybe you can make up a new exhaust-system which allows mufflers with horizontal induction?? :D
Or maybe that won't be possible to due space?

Anyway; just a few "pre-install-thoughts"....

I'd be interested in a muffler system for horizontal induction also. I already have the HI cowling, but reduced noise is the prime motivator for me. I wear hearing aids due to significant hearing loss, so anything that will make my cabin quieter is highly desirable.

Would a muffled system for HI require different cowling exits?

Mufflers on Vetterman exhaust.

Hi all.

As far as I know, mufflers can't be installed on a horizontal induction engine but I'm wondering if any of you have a sollution after all?
For example you guys in Germany who have even more noise-restrictions that us in Norway?
Or maybe you Canadian guys who have at least as cold weather as in Norway?

Anyway; just a few "pre-install-thoughts"....

Hi Alf:

I've been hoping for a muffler solution for my horizontal induction set up as well. I see Larry now has a crossover system for the Superior cold air sump.

http://www.vansairforce.net/vetterman/87dfg76.jpg

Looking at the picture, it does not look like there is much room for a muffler unless it is placed last in the system where it is heading out of the cowl. That would make it difficult to hook up any heating system though.

I'm not ready for my exhaust system yet, so I remain hopeful as I wait.

Cheers from Canada, Terry :eek:

I would love one too!

I haven't spoken to Larry in a couple of years. When I asked before, I got the impression there wasn't room, but I don't really know. When I look into my cowl with my Vettermann cross over (IO-360-A1A, horizontal induction, angle valve), it seems like some clever design would be able to pull it off.

Larry is a pretty clever guy. Throwing down the gauntlett here: Larry, I think there is a market for it if you can pull it off,

Any joy?

I'm about to order exhaust for the IO360 M1B in my 7.

Did anyone manage to install mufflers?

Any thoughts on the ease of installing things around the crossovers vs. the 4-pipe?