mlwynn

Well Known Member
Hi All,

I am starting the FWF stuff and am scratching my head on cowl installation. I am using a Sam James cowl, but I don't suppose that really makes much difference in how you go about attaching it.

Question is, has anyone used Carbinges? The website presents a pretty good argument for their product. They are a little pricey, but then so is building and operating airplanes. The attractive thing to me is a tight bond that is not dependent on riveting fiberglass. It seems intuitively like it would make a stonger hinged closure. So I thought I would see if anyone else has experience they could share.

Regards,

Michael Wynn
RV 8, Finishing
San Ramon,CA

Carbinge Keepers, Roll your own

I know this is a little off the subject, but I am using the carbinge keeper Idea. I originally got the idea from a multiple Lancair builder some years back. I took a 10/32 X 1/2 stainless set screw and centered drilled the set screw with a #40 drill. Then silver soldered a stainless hinge pin to the set screw.
I took a 10/32 rivnut and removed the head. I fiberglassed the rivnut into the cowling. The set screw threads into the rivnut.
For the hinge I used a MS 20001-6 and offset the hinge below the cowl seam.
013sx9.jpg

016nu5.jpg

012oe0.jpg

Aaron

Last edited: