Mark Burns

Well Known Member
Anyone using the heavy Prestolite starter?

I'm considering using the prestolite starter that came on the used engine I purchased. I'll have a Sensenich fixed pitch up there also.

Are there any issues with using the prestolite other than the 5 pound weight penalty?

Thanks,
Mark

Last edited:
I've had the prestolite on my airplane for 6 years just to push the CG forward. It works well and the price is/was right too. Depending on who you believe, the weight penalty may be closer to 8 or 10 pounds.

Starter

I'm going to use the Prestolite stater that came with my engine. Mine weights 14.5 pounds. I have not flown yet. Once I get into the testing phase things can be changed. I believe the weight up front will be needed, plus it works just fine. My 4 should be too light in the front end as it is. (O-320-D1A, wood prop, minimalist panel: Stratomaster Enigma, Garmin SL-40, Garmin GX-327 transpond., no steam guages, 155# pilot weight, manual trim and flaps)

Brian Vickers, RV4 finishing

Mechanically, I don't think the Prestolite Starter is the best choice, because of one issue in particular. That is, once you energize the starter and if the engine fails to start, the start pinion stays engaged with the flywheel until the engine does start, making hand proping the engine a real problem. However, that being said, the weight up front is welcome in my RV-6, putting a better starter way down on my wish list.

Thanks for the replys

Bob,
I'd forgotten that the bendix will stay out like that and make it difficult if not impossible to hand prop. Good point.

I think I'll just take my chances with that being an issue since I already have this starter.

Glad to hear I won't be the only one using one of these 14lb starters ;)

Thanks,
Mark

Mark,

You may like to replace the Bendix before you install the starter - they're not that expensive from somewhere like Sac Sky Ranch. If it starts to stick its a real pain.

Pete

Good advice

Pete,
Thanks for the advice and I'm happy to say I've already thought of that!
The teeth on mine are a little worn.
I picked up a new one on ebay yesterday for $34. P/N EBB-7A

I'm going to replace the ring gear also.

I've already taken the starter apart to check it out. It's going to be fine.

Mark