oy-rvc

Many people have aparently been using autogas in 180 hp lycomings, but I have the IO-360A1B6 200hp which have a slightly higher compression ratio (8.7:1). I have been unable to find any who has experience running autogas in this engine. The fuel of choice would be Shell V-power which is the highest octane rating I can find around here and to my knowledge contains very little if any ethanol. My thought was to use one tank for Avgas and one for Mogas and use the Avgas for takeoff, landing, airwork ect. Only use the Mogas for 55%-65% cruise power.

Is this a bad idea? Does anybody have experience with mogas in this engine? Or things to consider using mogas in general? In Denmark the prices difference is 1$ for every liter :mad: That equates to more than the cost of a brand new engine over 2000 hours operating on mogas instead of avgas. Of course safety is my concern. Vapor lock ect. Also does anybody know anything about the additives for old cars to help protect valves ect instead of lead, do they actually help? I believe many of them also claim to be octan boosting?

Last edited:
Great question, Christian. I'm looking forward to hearing some responses too. Another option would be to blend autogas with 100LL. Although the A1B6 cylinders are "high compression", it certainly isn't by much (8.5 is not high compression, 8.7 IS high compression). Certainly not as much of a concern as 10:1 compression cylinders would be for detonation / pre-ignition...