Airzen

Well Known Member
Just wondering if there are folks using Aerovoltz battery. (I am aware of other LiFePo options, but just requesting info on Aerovoltz spcifically).

Has anyone done any endurance test on these?

I haven't done any real testing, but I am using a 16 cell as my primary, with another 8 cell as my backup for my second electronic ignition. The plane starts just like it did with the odyssey batteries I was using before. The two aerovoltz batteries together weigh significantly less than the single PC680 I was using prior. I have about 6 months on mine. Another RV on the field has about twice that time on one with no issues so far.

Guy

Great!

Thanks for the response! Great to hear that you are having a good experience.

By any chance did you do an endurance test? (or know of someone who has?)

I also got the 16 cell Aerovoltz and it is rated at 28 Pb-equivalent-Amp Hours. (Note "equivalent"). I have heard anecdotally that you should really plan for 1/3 of that capacity (so really at 28/3 Amp hours).

Again all of this is speculative so I am wondering if anyone has done any kind of endurance test on these?

Aerovoltz

I have been using it for a year and had no issues. I purchased the 16 cell 500
CCA and it has been very reliable. Its important to also buy the special charger with the battery as its a good idea to periodically balance charge the battery.

I did put a blast tube on the battery as I wanted to keep it as cool as possible.

Thanks for the response! Great to hear that you are having a good experience.

By any chance did you do an endurance test? (or know of someone who has?)

I also got the 16 cell Aerovoltz and it is rated at 28 Pb-equivalent-Amp Hours. (Note "equivalent"). I have heard anecdotally that you should really plan for 1/3 of that capacity (so really at 28/3 Amp hours).

Again all of this is speculative so I am wondering if anyone has done any kind of endurance test on these?

I did not do an endurance test.

On paper the actual rating of the batteries is about 1/3 of the Pb equivalent. In an overly simplified sense, it will crank your engine as long as a 28 Amp Hour battery, but it will only run lower draw items like an ignition like a 9 Amp Hour battery. The low internal resistance is what lets it perform so well under high current cranking conditions. At low current, the low internal resistance doesn't make much difference.

Hmm..

On paper the actual rating of the batteries is about 1/3 of the Pb equivalent. In an overly simplified sense, it will crank your engine as long as a 28 Amp Hour battery, but it will only run lower draw items like an ignition like a 9 Amp Hour battery.

This is what I thought. Which also means that with a modest load of 20 AMP you've got less than 30 mins (and that too when the battery is perfect). Makes me want to switch back to PC680.

This is what I thought. Which also means that with a modest load of 20 AMP you've got less than 30 mins (and that too when the battery is perfect). Makes me want to switch back to PC680.

Yep, It all comes down to mission profile and risk acceptance. If I switch to my Endurance bus, my current draw is <7A with my EFIS, GPS, COMM and Transponder all operating. So I've got ~1hr reserve in my VFR aircraft. My second ignition can be switched to a backup battery, giving an additional hour of engine run time. This also serves as protection from a shorted battery in my system.